• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Headliner install with glass in

68stang289

I had my headliner in and tight and looking good, until I installed my rear window. Once I did that, the glue let go and the headliner went to crap on that last rib section. I know it is possible for an installer to put a headliner in with the glass in place so does anyone have any advice on how to get it to tighten up with the glass in place?

If you are working on a 65-68 the headliner wraps around your pinchweld, then you install your glass. If your glass is already in and your headliner pulled loose it won't be fun trying to get it tucked in. Good luck. Rich.

I was thinking the same thing. I'd sure like to know how someone could fix that. I have attached a picture of my headliner when we put in back in after paint (it's taped and clamped) but you can see it wraps around the pinch weld. I really can't see being able to get the headliner back in with the glass installed.
index.php

Yup, 70 fastback, the rear portion just came right out as I pulled the rope to put the rear window in. I may end up taking it to the guy who is doing the paint and body work on my dad's 67 Coronet to see if there's anything he can do with it. I used to work for the guy the summer before I started law school and there wasn't a day that went by that I wasn't amazed by some crazy trick he had. Still PO'd at myself that it came apart like that.

I have heard that you can take a putty knife type tool and can weasel and shove the headliner back up in there but I don't know how it would stay. Was hoping someone here had some experience putting one in with the glass in.

I hope it's possible, maybe on the 70 FB it would be easier, I've never had one but after putting my headliner in (twice) I can't imagine it.

Don't feel bad. I loosened mine when I was roping it in also.

I plan to find a way to fix it while I'm replacing the carpet and seat covers. That will happen real soon. If I am successful I will let you know what I did.

"Sluggo" said:
Don't feel bad. I loosened mine when I was roping it in also.

Now I don't feel so bad admitting that mine did the same thing. I'm waiting to see the new one piece headliner installed to see if I want to go that route. I like that you gain a few inches of headroom with the one-piece.

Frank

the rear portion just came right out as I pulled the rope to put the rear window in.

Weird that it would let loose like that.... was it properly glued to the pinchweld?

I have heard of people "tucking" the rear (or front) edge of the headliner up under the weatherstripping and around the pinchweld, but the results can't be good enough to eliminate wrinkles/sagging. It would be easier to remove the glass and start over again.

If there is any little wrinkle, loose spot, short spot, or defect in the smooth application of the headliner, it can catch on the rope. Also, most put some pressure on the glass as they pull the rope, creating a bit more possibility of a snag.

I think Pete hit the nail on the head with the pressure issue. I think as my dad was applying pressure, it snagged on the headliner and once one section came down, so did the rest.

I think another trick to it might be to start with the rope at the top center and work the top edge first going light on the pressure from the outside. Once you clear the headliner you can apply pretty aggressive pressure as you progress around the glass. The glass should still center up fine. I started at the bottom on mine.

Next time I will try it.

It is easier to start from the bottom because as you complete the last bit of seal, you may need to hand massage the seal to get it just right. Imagine how hard it would be to do that on the bottom, against the dash. Also, you normally place the glass and seal onto the lower window frame. With it not sitting on something, there is a chance for the seal to separate from the glass presenting more issues.

we did my windshield and rear window twice because we put in the headliner before paint and ended up taking it back out for paint. Anyway, on both occasions we did not apply much more pressure than simply holding the glass and as the rope went around it sucked the glass right into place. I guess we were lucky (twice). It was a coupe too so that might be a big difference.

My guess is it snagged on one of the relief cuts so I could get all the wrinkles out of the headliner. Probably one of the corners had dried glue on it and wasn't all the way down. When I pulled the rope I think it snagged on that and pulled the rest out as I went along.

I've heard about such problems, I'm really glad we got lucky with ours! I hope you can get it fixed. Worst case like Dave says, another window seal and try it again!

Back