• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Headliner Question

Johnny M

I am in the process of installing the headliner on my 67 FB. I have the Repo bows and a new headliner.

Firstly i figured out that all 3 bows are different length and gauged that the roof tapers and the 3 different length bow are installed as the roof gets narrower.

I did a test fit with the bows and headliner but the center bow keeps turning slightly and causing it to loose its tension and slide into the holes in the roof. Which causes the headliner to drop. I can get it to sit right but seems way too likely to drop later on when i have my glass in.

Is this caused by the aftermarket bows or would a small file to square off the holes in the roof solve the problem?

All of the restoration books i have make reference to "marking the old bows and re-installing them in the same order" which does not apply to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Johnny

Did you slit the bow sleeve in the headliner?

I do not have any experience with the aftermarket bows but, I know that the sleeve that the bows slide into might need a slit for the headliner to fit properly.

Aren't there two metal "clips" that go hook to the last bow to keep them them from going forward?

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy ... 6542180+01

6542180-C.jpg

HB67F-C.jpg

Yea, I have those two metal clips and they work on the back bow. It's the middle bow I am having the problem with.

I just installed a 67 coupe headliner, I used the factory bows which are location specific as you know. All 3 of my bows were bent on the ends and could not "fall into" the mounting holes in the roof. I would question if you have the bows in the proper location or if your bows are not produced to the factory shape???

Y'know earlier I was going to suggest using epoxy or a tach weld to hold a washer near the curve to keep the rods from falling in... I forgot all about the pressed tabs that are supposed to serve that function. If the holes in the header are too large, maybe tight fitting washers would help if those tabs are indeed in place.

"stangg" said:
Yusing epoxy or a tach weld to hold a washer near the curve to keep the rods from falling in... If the holes in the header are too large, maybe tight fitting washers would help if those tabs are indeed in place.

I guess the Repo rods are just a bit sloppy. There are two sets of holes on the header and i would rather use the "higher" hole for max head clearance.

Thanks for the tips.

"34isgreat" said:
I just installed a 67 coupe headliner, I used the factory bows which are location specific as you know. All 3 of my bows were bent on the ends and could not "fall into" the mounting holes in the roof. I would question if you have the bows in the proper location or if your bows are not produced to the factory shape???

Looking at the pic of your bows....are there small notches where the bow bends upwards near the ends?

Yes that was my point, my bows have the last say 1/4 inch bend at nearly a 90 degree angle to the end of the bow. Also if you look very close you will see two crimped burrs on each side of the bend. This burr keeps the bow from falling into the mounting hole. I can find no good picture of these burrs but all my bows had then on both ends. If you look at the attached pics you can see them. Stangg suggested welding or glueing a small washer to the ends of your bows, this could work also. I know you could use a toothed interior start washer on each end to prevent them from falling in the holes, you just need to get it tight enough to not slip off.

"34isgreat" said:
Yes that was my point, my bows have the last say 1/4 inch bend at nearly a 90 degree angle to the end of the bow. Also if you look very close you will see two crimped burrs on each side of the bend. This burr keeps the bow from falling into the mounting hole. I can find no good picture of these burrs but all my bows had then on both ends. If you look at the attached pics you can see them. Stangg suggested welding or glueing a small washer to the ends of your bows, this could work also. I know you could use a toothed interior start washer on each end to prevent them from falling in the holes, you just need to get it tight enough to not slip off.

Ahh that makes sense now, It looks like i will have to do as you say.

The Repo ones do not have the burr or anything else to stop them rotating or sliding into the holes.

Yet again....REPO gear is total junk.

Thanks.

Push nuts! I could not think of the name, thats what I was referring to above. This is the same device used to hold the 67 quarter vent sections together. They will only move one way once they are installed. I got mine at the local hardware store.

Hey, I recognize those pics from my restoration. I think I have another set of those bow is you need more pictures or an original set.

"janschutz" said:
Hey, I recognize those pics from my restoration. I think I have another set of those bow is you need more pictures or an original set.

Are they for a fastback? I am nearly sure they are different to coupe ones.

Back