• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Holley Secondary's won't open

I agree with Mark. My 4777 4150 is at Sean Murphy Induction for Stage 2 mods right now. I understand Mark has a really good source as well. If you have really deep pockets and full race desires, you can call Pro Systems. Great guys to talk too, but you need to be full race.

I agree with Mark. My 4777 4150 is at Sean Murphy Induction for Stage 2 mods right now. I understand Mark has a really good source as well. If you have really deep pockets and full race desires, you can call Pro Systems. Great guys to talk too, but you need to be full race.
thanks, no full race for me. This thing is as close to a daily driver as I have. I travel a lot and work from home so I don't really drive it everyday but I drive it year round and I drive it everywhere. It's been in 18 states so far.

Well that should be plenty of Motor for a 770...but you don't need me to tell you that. I have to go back to Mark's suggestion...send the 750 or 770 to one of the following. Just be prepared for the prices. However, judging from that pic you should be well prepared.

Pro Systems (Patrick)
Sean Murphy Induction
Gary Williams
Chuck Nuytten

From experience, Sean is the most available. However, he has about a 8 week back log. Sort of a oxymoron there...readily and 8 weeks. Chuck is probably the next most available. Gary and Patrick are both great guys, but they tend to deal with full race. However you may peak their interest with the 429. Yes, you can google all four and easily get them. I would say if you can get in with Patrick at Pro Systems, he would be your best bet with that engine. I can say he came highly recommended by my engine builder...I just didn't fit their scope. You might.

You bet. I don't know much, but I have spent the last two months dealing with this same situation, talking to Mark and all of the guys listed and my engine builder. You just have to find a good fit for all parties. You should also ask Mark who built his. I would certainly follow his judgment as well.

I have always done everything myself. I think it is about time I get some professional help (I'm leaving myself wide open here).

I hear you. I'm the same way. However, there are guys that get paid lots of money for specific things...like this.
yeah, I can't figure this one out. And a new carb is $500+ and I will still have to tweak it. So it will be worth it to get a knowledgeable builder

That's pretty much where I landed. I was at the brink of ordering a new $650 carb from Summit for my new 289 K-Spec and as you say tuning it from there, or sending the 4150 I already had new in the box to a pro and letting them tune it to my engine specs. I look at it like this, I don't have a Sun distributor tuning machine so I sent mine to Dan Nolan and had it dialed in to B2 specs. I also don't have a flow bench or a mill to do the proper milling and tuning of my carb, so I sent it out. There are lots of other things I can spend my time doing and take pride in. I rebuilt my entire suspension with guidance from John at ORP. I sent my steering box to Chock...because I don't have the tools to do that job properly. I rebuilt my Toploader with guidance from Dan Williams. I rebuilt my K-H proportioning valve with guidance from Mark Frappier (for those that didn't know him, look him up). It's just like anything else, chose your battles. I chose not to dick with the carb. Will I have to make some minor tweaks...probably, but I imagine far less than sending Summit $650+ and fighting an uphill guessing game for months on end.

A few decades ago, when i was young and irresponsible, i got sick of frigging around with a 650 vac sec holley on the 302 Cleveland (im in OZ remember, we had a beautiful 302 Cleveland made here for the local market, that came with 63cc Closed chamber heads. You could flog them unmercifully and they would pull like a 14 year old) in my XA coupe (Think Torino but better looking) and i lashed out, after doing my homework and bought a brand new 600 Double Pumper Holley. Put it on, tweaked the idle and it was perfect. It was faultless and made me realise that old carbs that are just plain worn out are more trouble than they are worth.

Did you do your test with the primaries wide open? Many Holley's have a pin or linkage that will prevent the secondaries from opening unless the primaries are open. Some have choke "lock out" linkages as well.

Back