• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Home ownership.....continues

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
So our house is a mess. We have things moved, stored and basically looking horrible waiting on the front remodel that starts Monday, weather permitting.

During the winter with the rains it's common to smell musty in the closet under the stairs because that is where the floor door is to see under the house (dirt) and where the sump pump is located. And considering the winter we all are having the smell is expected.

Then my wife notices a wet spot at the very edge of the closet door (carpet laid inside the closet floor). We look up and see no drip point so I get down and touch the carpet. Its soaked. And everything on the floor has become a wick and is sopping wet. Our bags with ski clothes, soaked. Backpacks soaked. A leaf for our dining room table soaked and delaminated. Even my old bowling ball....its cracked because water got in the finger holes and expanded the core.

We throw everything out. I try drying the area while looking for the source. Under the house I can see a drip, drop at the point where the wall is the worst. I cut off a large piece of drywall (wetwall) and there is a pipe so corroded and wet.

Call a plumber this morning and they replace the pipe and get us water again. They suggest we get the house re-piped with PEX. These houses from the 70s have steel pipes which are a timebomb...as we learned. So after the remodel is done we'll be doing more....getting re-piped.

What fun.

Mike , how old is your house ? Mine is 30 years old this year and I have plastic piping .I believe it was VPE piping I installed 30 years ago.

early 70s....

The old pipes look like blocked arteries. Very small opening for the water.

I hear good things about success with re-piping with PEX. I used it throughout my whole shop and I was impressed with how durable it was as well as how easy it is to work with. Due to our hard water here in the valley, anything but copper or PEX has a short life span!

I will NEVER trust a system like PEX. Probably a old timer position to hold but years in industrial service taught me plastic lines (connections really) all fail. Not if but when. That said, I can totally see why using something like that for a whole house re-piping makes sense from an economic standpoint. Much less "destruction" required for install. For new construction, however, copper all the way. At least for me. I'm sure the cost difference is significant but so is the peace of mind.

Not all new things are bad Terry . But I understand you. Its the same thing that one day your son knows more on certain things then you do !!!
CHANGE , I hate it too !!

Mike:

Make sure to check the water main (from the meter to the house) and confirm its condition. When mine sprung a leak, I found that it was a combination of original iron, some PVC, and some creative connections. I replaced it all with 3/4" copper. Keep in mind that with a skilled plumber, if he has to dig a trench he will be doing it at plumber's hourly rates and not unskilled labor rates. When I replaced my water main several years ago a neighbor kid offered to dig the 18" deep trench for $1 per linear foot, cost me $40 !! Plumber came in , measured, cut, and soldered the joints, installed the union, gate valve, and was on his way in about 90 minutes. At some point, I will replace the galvanized pipe under the house with copper, accessibility being enhanced with a basement!

Mike, having replumbed a house and building a new one I have some experience to share.

In CA we had a house built in the 40s and it had galvanized steel pipe. It was like yours clogged.

I got under the house and tore out the pipe and replaced it with copper. It cost a bit but wow what an awesome upgrade. Not hard and will last 100 years. The hard water is no problem for it either.

Move forward to when we built our house in Utah. Our contactor talked me in to PEX. It went in fast and easy. It tolerates the cold freezing weather we have. We had recirculating hot water put in. Due to this the plastic can't take the heat all the time nor as much pressure. So my hose bibs don't have acceptable pressure. My hot water has a timer so it isn't on for about four hours at night. Not a big deal really.

If I had it to do over I would have gone with copper. I'm just not sold on PEX.

I can't tell you specifics, just my gut feelings.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have come to learn there are three ways to do things. The right way, the wrong way, and the Terry way.
And by "The Terry Way" you obviously mean it having been heavily analyzed, thought through completely, in alliance with professional opinion and done properly with absolute perfection as the goal with cost as a secondary consideration. Right?

Mel's anecdote is the kind of stuff I had found when researching PEX for a project. Maybe it has improved in the recent years, I don't know. Haven't had reason to check. I just know copper worked for my grandfather and it's worked for me and I'm more than sure it will for my grandsons. For me, that justifies a slightly higher cost.
In southern California maybe some of those concerns are not so great. Buyer/owner needs to make that decision.

About a year ago we got a notice of excessive water use from our rental house. It is in view from our home and I asked the tennent if water was leaking in the backyard. So I put in a request to re-read the meter. They read correctly. Come to find the yard was spongy in places, then I looked at the meter and it was full of water. House is higher than the meter at the street sidewalk. Called a leak detection outfit. House is on a cement slab and water source comes up through it. They never really did isolate the leak, probably multiple places. So we opted to get the house replumbed. Guess that they used what you are calling the PEX stuff. But before that we had another company come in and rip out the laminate floors and molding and proceed to dry for 3 days. After the plumbing new floors were installed, holes in the walls patched and I did a little touch up painting. The city has been upping the water pressure and other neighbors have had the same issues. These are 1977 build homes with copper piping for the most part. So we had a pressure regulator installed at the rental and our house. In my opinion it was due to age, increasing water pressure and recent mild earthquake. After it was done the living room, hallway and bathrooms now have tile floors. It pays to have good insurance, that retired quarterback pitches for our company. In the end even with the upgrades, whole house plumbed instead of just the leaks, and tile floors instead of laminate we came out even.
Again good luck with the remodel Mike.

fd

Earthquakes are a variable I had never considered. With a PEX type system I bet they "build-in" some slack to allow for differential movement which would seem a real advantage over solid copper piping. Have to think about that now.

For those that have been through some substantial quakes how often do water leaks occur because piping breaks? Is it common?

The only retired quarterback that I know of pitches for insurance is Joe Namath for Medicare; it that who insured your house?

Back