• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

hospital bill

Flysure1

I posted a while back about having hernia and carpal tunnel surgery, I got a statement from the hospital for my "account" balance--1 1/2 days --$23,550. wtf? --I realize the ins comp. will negociate that down but how would you have the nerve even to put down a figure like that?---wow

My outpatient ACL/MCL took all of 45 mins for the doctor to complete. One of the best in the area so working on a knee for him is like us changing a tire. Bill to the ins. co.-----$12,500

Screw "national healthcare" and all that blah. The real problem with the health ins. industry lies within your bill. Anyone ever wonder why a power scooter costs $8000 and the guy on tv guarantees they'll get Medicare approval?

/off soapbox...too early

As far as negotiating it down, here is an example. After my wife gave birth in August, we received the itemized bill for the hospital stay; $15,088 for 3 days. Of that, we paid $796.00. Insurance paid only $2384, with a "health plan discount" of 11,908! Wow, it would suck to be self-pay!

I think that is bull the way that works---what a scam, how did we deteriorate to this level of game playing?, why not charge a fair price and have the insurance pay it? I have the good fortune of having 2 insurance companies that will cover almost all of the costs, still I do not think this is right, I wish I had access to the time machine midlife referred to a while back and could turn it back to about 1953! :naughty

You would like to go back to 1953 and have the surgery done? Might as well have done it with a butter knife. I'll pay the bill and live with the better outcome of surgery. Technology advances are wonderful, but paying for then is not always the best.

I work with a few doctors whose incomes are in the range of $400,000-$600,000. Heck one even works 2 days a week and makes almost $200k. I know they add value to peoples lives but agree with you guys the prices are a bit out of control.

Back