• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I hate buying a new car.

guruatbol

Always on vacation!
Well, the Excursion had an issue with the #9 spark plug once before. We put an insert in it and now the insert has come loose. The stealership wants $3500 to replace the head. I have no time to mess with it and decided to buy a new car instead. After all the Excursion is a V10 and has 188k on it. We like it but it is showing it's age.

So, I ask the dealer that has the car to help us. They are attempting to, but Amber will not accept a new Ford. So we are looking at the Dodge Durango. She just has to have every freaking option known to man! This make a replacement car very expensive. Buy used? Something we can pay cash for? Surely you jest! How about a newer Excursion? You have got to be joking me? So what do you want? A Porsche Cayenne!

Well, the Porsche is out, so is the Audi, Mercedes, BMW and Buick! I want something that will be OK on our dirt roads and still be able to tow the Mustangs around.

So we went to the dealer and drove a Durango with the V6. I am just not impressed. Went to another dealer that as Amber's desired model, the Citadel and drove one with 6800 miles on it. She seems to like it and I like the performance. It will tow enough for me and is very comfy. Now to deal. The second dealer is very typical, pressure. The first was very easy to deal with but, they just didn't have the truck we want. They want to dealer trade. I don't like this since the last time I did that, I paid way too much!

So the second dealer made us a deal saving us $10k over a new one and gives us the same as the first one for our tow it in broken Excursion.

So pics will follow of our new to us nearly new Dodge Durango Citadel with a Hemi. Now if they would just make a tuner for the 2012 models I could unlock some of the ponies from under the hood.

One question, It is a dark green pearl color and I can find no signs of being repainted, yet the Dodge website does not offer a green color. Could it be a special order? Early order? Any ideas?

Mel

"silverblueBP" said:
A Dodge :wtf

Yeah, Amber refuses to look at an Expedition...We had a lemon 1998 2wd one....

She wants a Porsche, but I won't let that happen. No where to service the thing.

The dodge has the options she wants and the V8 I want....

Dunno, just a car right?

Mel

Actually the FIAT...er..Chrylser trucks (Dodge isn't a brand anymore is it?) have been getting good writes ups in the auto mags.

I think it will be able to pull a trailer.....but aren't you suppose to drive those Mustangs? What do you need a trailer for? :roll

"guruatbol" said:
Yeah, Amber refuses to look at an Expedition...We had a lemon 1998 2wd one....

She wants a Porsche, but I won't let that happen. No where to service the thing.

The dodge has the options she wants and the V8 I want....

Dunno, just a car right?

Mel

Sure, support the company that's been bailed out TWICE by the taxpayers.

"silverblueBP" said:
Sure, support the company that's been bailed out TWICE by the taxpayers.

I couldn't agree more!

But you know how it goes...

If Mama isn't happy, you ain't happy!
If Mama isn't happy long enough, you ain't happy with half your stuff!

Mel

"guruatbol" said:
I couldn't agree more!

But you know how it goes...

If Mama isn't happy, you ain't happy!
If Mama isn't happy long enough, you ain't happy with half your stuff!

Mel

Doesn't Ferrari make an SUV??

image-ferrari-suv.jpg

You should have bought a Kia. My local dealer is now offering a 20 year, 200,000 mile drivetrain warranty for free.

Re: Re: I hate buying a new car.

"Midlife" said:
You should have bought a Kia. My local dealer is now offering a 20 year, 200,000 mile drivetrain warranty for free.

They've came a long way. The new Optima looks pretty good. I think the designer used to work for Audi.
Another one that surprises me, it the new Hyundai Genesis v6 coupe. Rwd and almost 350hp. Not too shabby.

Sorry Mid, I would never have an Asian car in my driveway! I guess I am just prejudice!

OK, we went to the dealer to pick up our new 2012 green Durango. It turns out that it was a green 2011 Durango and all the paperwork I had showed that I was given showed it as a 2012. I told them no I didn't want the 2011. I found that the 2011 had super bad issues with the transmission, 5spd with OD. The 2012 has a 6 spd and the trans is less likely to have issues. Not saying it won't, just seems lees likely.

Anyway, they had a black one that was 2012, so to make a long story short, we waited them out and got is for only a couple thousand more than the 2011.

So I will post pics tomorrow since it is dark now. This thing has every option known to man. Rain sensing wipers, adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, back up camera and sensors, nav system, heated and cooled leather seats, heated steering wheel, lighting everywhere, auto headlights, 10 speaker alpine stereo, electric tilt and telescoping steering wheel, the list just keeps on going! It is an awesome car....The bad is we have a payment!

The independent front and rear suspension is nice on our dirt roads. Makes me want to save my money for the Heidt system for the Mustangs.

Now that I bought a car that cost more than the house I grew up in, I have to save the money for a shop! Maybe I'll sell the Mustangs and build a shop and buy the new Mustang....??? Wait then there is nothing to work on in the shop....

Mel

"guruatbol" said:
OK, we went to the dealer to pick up our new 2012 green Durango. It turns out that it was a green 2011 Durango and all the paperwork I had showed that I was given showed it as a 2012. I told them no I didn't want the 2011. I found that the 2011 had super bad issues with the transmission, 5spd with OD. The 2012 has a 6 spd and the trans is less likely to have issues. Not saying it won't, just seems lees likely.

Anyway, they had a black one that was 2012, so to make a long story short, we waited them out and got is for only a couple thousand more than the 2011.

A couple thousand more than the 2011 that they told you was a 2012?

Who won here?

Frank

I agree with guruatbol!
I work for a non commission dodge, Chrysler, jeep, Mazda dealer! We do business the 21 century way not the beat them up and knock them down way. If you end up getting a Durango let me know and I'll see if our prices beat the ones in your area.
And no dodge is dodge not fiat. Fiat is a whole different line up.
The rams are not technically dodge they are "ram" now.
I have the new rams and let me tell you what.... WOW! Our rams have 6 features ford an Chevy don't have.
I get an average of 18mpg city/ highway on my daily commute. 50/50.

Back