• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Ignition Switch

Great Steve, now you've got me thinking of ANOTHER option, I like the sensing and disabling part, not looking at auto locking doors or removing my ign. switch but I like the idea of the RFID and it 'shutting' down when I'm gone from a perimeter, wonder if they have them with the pager also?
Jon

Before you spend too much time on a sophisticated ignition system.... you do realize that any mechanic/car thief could have your car started and gone within 2 minutes without ever looking at an ignition switch.... right?

A jumper wire from the +BAT to the +COIL and a quick bump of the starter solenoid and.... unless the car is in some other way disabled.... the car will start/run/drive.

"daveSanborn" said:
Before you spend too much time on a sophisticated ignition system.... you do realize that any mechanic/car thief could have your car started and gone within 2 minutes without ever looking at an ignition switch.... right?

A jumper wire from the +BAT to the +COIL and a quick bump of the starter solenoid and.... unless the car is in some other way disabled.... the car will start/run/drive.
Nooooooo! That can't be true...can it?

"daveSanborn" said:

"SexyOldMe" said:
(Car will still be vulnerable to the typical under-hood attacks)

I know :) This isn't security, this is completely about me not wanting to use a key!

I WILL have a secret wire that I'm going to run from the DIst side of the coil into the cabin that will ground the coil out when the switch is off. Someone really on top of their game will know about that, but most dummies who might be trying to joy-ride or something won't know.

*shrug* that's why we have insurance. I don't htink the car will be any MORE vulnerable than it already was.

"AtlantaSteve" said:
I know :) This isn't security, this is completely about me not wanting to use a key!

I WILL have a secret wire that I'm going to run from the DIst side of the coil into the cabin that will ground the coil out when the switch is off. Someone really on top of their game will know about that, but most dummies who might be trying to joy-ride or something won't know.

*shrug* that's why we have insurance. I don't htink the car will be any MORE vulnerable than it already was.

Well, I wouldn't tell anybody about that secret wire..........

there's going to be other security stuff on the car, but for the most part, I'm only interested in keeping honest people honest...anyone who wants to steal a car can get it...even if they pick it up with a helicopter and fly it away.

Would moving the battery to the trunk and adding a "race" type kill switch help with the stealing part?

Just curious

You would have to remove any source of power from under the hood when the car is off and left parked. Sounds like the battery in the trunk and then an in line cutoff switch might slow the thief down......and make them winch it on their trailer.....

"daveSanborn" said:

Lost my first car, a '67 that way. Loaned it to a buddy, it disappeared in front of a movie box office. He felt like sh----.

Back