• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I'm buying my first house

But, your house is probably twice the cost of mine too. My brother lives outside of Chicago and his house would be half the price here as it is there.

"RapidRabbit" said:
But, your house is probably twice the cost of mine too. My brother lives outside of Chicago and his house would be half the price here as it is there.
True but if you need a three bedroom, two and half bath house be it there or here...you need the house. Here it costs you twice as much to buy and probably three times the taxes for the honor of owning it.

The alternative is to try and find something in a far outlying area where cost and taxes are less but then you have a two hour commute to a decent paying job. You end up paying one way or another.

"Horseplay" said:
True but if you need a three bedroom, two and half bath house be it there or here...you need the house. Here it costs you twice as much to buy and probably three times the taxes for the honor of owning it.

The alternative is to try and find something in a far outlying area where cost and taxes are less but then you have a two hour commute to a decent paying job. You end up paying one way or another.

WTF do you continue to live in a cesspool that takes so much out of your wallet?

"silverblueBP" said:
WTF do you continue to live in a cesspool that takes so much out of your wallet?
I need to be here for the job for one. Two, the wife has a good job/career that keeps her in the area too. Then there is the whole kids/schools thing, the grandson...

I didn't know homeless people could afford Vintage Mustangs...Congrats!

"crustycurmudgeon" said:
It's in Hollister:

I've visited Hollister quite a few times, nice town. Congratulations on the home & access to a 2-car garage.

Man, the area I live in for almost 300k you'd have the mansion on the hill. It pays to be a country boy sometimes.

Bill

Very cool Frankie. :thu :yah

Reminds me of my neighborhood, only I am at the end of the cul de sac and your home looks like a mirror image of my rental house.

Looks like you get to smell the garlic of Gilroy and wave to Mikey's house on your way to work. :peter

fd

Congrats! Welcome to the world of never-ending projects. Especially when you buy a "fixer-upper" like I did. The PO of my house started many projects....and finished none. lol

"crustycurmudgeon" said:
Heck if I know. The seller signed the offer and it went to his bank for approval. I'm new at all this. :shrug

Frank

Usually your offer contains a provision for the close of escrow either a date certain (ie: 30 days, 45 days , etc., from acceptance) or a set number of days after the occurance of a contingency (ie: 20 days after sellers' bank approves the deal). Usually the sellers' bank is not consulted unless it is a short sale in which case the sellers' lender must agree and this can take some time depending on the bank. Make sure that your real estate broker rides herd on that point as well as all the other contingencies and approvals as your lender's commitment to give you a mortgage usually has an expiration date on it and could be a problem if too much time passes. Read your contract papers and make sure your broker explains everything to you to your satisfaction.

Back