• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Last minute decision on Shag's paint scheme

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
I shot a spray out card last night from the gallon of Highland Green that my painter bought followed by some clear coat, for my approval and I give it a thumbs up.

Paint scheme:
Exterior: Highland Green BC & CC
Trunk and hidden interior: Highland Green BC (no CC)
Exposed interior (A pillars, dash, sterring tube, door panels): Parchment BC (no CC)
Underside, wheel wells and engine compartment: Sems trim black

*Hood underside: Highland Green BC. Should I clear coat it??????

We hope to be base coating as early as tomorrow (Sat).

Later on we will shoot the rear interior panels parchment as well.

Dave,
My painter just said the same thing. Too bad he can't pick up hot chicks the old school way.

Thanks

Jeff,
Can you and Lynn somehow switch positions in you avatar so I can first see her legs instead of yours? Until then, thanks for the input.

Clear coat everything nancy boy.

Why would you want base coat only on the interior? I would use single stage. I don't think base coat would be durable enough.

I don't think base coat would be durable enough.

See, I was thinking the same thing. I can understand Craigs desire to have a low gloss sheen on certain areas, but applying only a BC doesn't offer very much durability. The clear coat application is what provides the hardness/durability. I'd think that the BC by itself would scratch very easily.

For the areas Craig mentioned where he'd like to have a low gloss finish, why not use a single stage urethane with a flattening agent?

I used acrylic enamel single stage for my trunk area and interior. I agree that almost any single stage would be better than simply base coat.

Craig, step away from that hookah.

Base coat is regularly used in trunk areas on newer cars. If used in an area with high usage and ultraviolet light I think the decision would be one that would carry some regret fairly soon.

Craig,

I have to agree with everyone else. If you're going to use a bc/cc, maybe George can find a "satin" clear just for the trunk & under the hood.

Is there such a thing as a "satin" clear that would have less gloss?

"garner67" said:
Craig,

I have to agree with everyone else. If you're going to use a bc/cc, maybe George can find a "satin" clear just for the trunk & under the hood.

Is there such a thing as a "satin" clear that would have less gloss?

Yes. Typically called deadening agent.

In Red, I shot base coat only on the exposed interior areas (doors, column, rear interior quarters & dash) and have had great results.

But, I do agree with all of you about the concerns of durability and will be talking to George today about this. It's been a real biotch finding the shade of parchment in BC/CC, having to tint it to my likings, so now I will need to re-address it in a single stage paint. Yes I have some flattening agent that might be coming into play.

I'll report back at end of today after spending the day with the painter & paint supply shop.

I appreciate all your comments and concerns on this matter. Sometimes a slap in the face is good medicine.

Got this nasty cold and cant sleep ~cuss

Spent first half of Saturday with Shag and the painter. His main painter overheard our discussion about dash paint and chimed in with " just mix some PPG DX685 (flattening agent) into your clear and shoot it over your base coat. I happen to have a quart of it in my truck, pulled it out and he smiled. George told me to go home and find the sheen that I like. Meaning "get the heck outta here" and practice shooting some sprayout cards.

Spent the afternoon and finally found a ratio of 3/4 : 1 (agent : clear) that gives me an sheen of something between egg shell and satin. I did find a user bullentin that says the ratio will depend on the manufacturer of the clear so I might go back down today and steal some of George's clear for I know he doesn't used PPG.

Damn, 2 am.....back to bed

PS-The painter also mentioned a trick in bringing out the metallic in such paints is to mix a little flattening agent into the base coat. It makes the metal flakes look a little more coarse. "Makes them pop" I think the phrase was.

Now back to bed

I need some TP.......... :binkybaby:

"cmayna" said:
Got this nasty cold and cant sleep ~cuss
Now back to bed

I need some TP.......... :binkybaby:

... need some TP? TP for your bunghole?

cornholio.gif

Back