• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Le Carra vs. Moto Lita

SAC69

Donator
I purchased a Le Carra wheel from Summit and I am pleased with it. The one I purchased is black. I don't know how the woodgrain version looks.

"hivewax" said:
I bought a Moto-Lita Shelby mahogany wheel from Finish Line - http://cobraaccessories.com - here in Florida. I'd recommend checking out their online catalog. Their prices are lower than the Mustang vendors out there.

I also bought mine there. Had a mix up with the wheel but very good customer service.

I've had both, and there are some very definite quality differences between the two (I prefer the Nardi over both, but that's just my two cents!). Whether or not it's worth the difference in price should be up to your own personal opinion, taste and budget.
Keep in mind that either is 1,000% better than the wood Grant GT wheel everybody uses! :craz

"Mustangfeverrr" said:
I've had both, and there are some very definite quality differences between the two (I prefer the Nardi over both, but that's just my two cents!).

It would be great if you can explain the quality differences between the 3.

EDIT: And, where did you get the Nardi wheel?!

"hivewax" said:

Good point. I forgot about the Nardi.

Tom,
I haven't advertised it too much but shortly before I got my infamous Moto wheel, I did infact have a Nardi but decided it was not the wheel for Shag. The slits in the 3 arms are too small for me. I like BIGGUNS.

Tom, I have the LeCarra. Its a fine wheel. The only concern you might have is the diameter of the wheel grip itself. The LeCarra is a small diameter and holding on to it may not be to your liking.

"hivewax" said:

Sure - and keep in mind, as I said, either one of these are nice wheels, especially as compared with some of the other stuff I've seen out there over the years. Considering this, I'm probably splitting hairs a bit, but there are differences to me between them.

The LeCarra felt a little more..."mass production" feeling. The stitching wasn't as nice as the Moto-Lita, and the edges of the leather where it fit over the ends of the spokes was kind of "cuffed" as opposed to tightly fitted. The leather also felt more like vinyl to me.

The Moto was nicely put together, and you had no doubt you had a handful of leather. It just looked more "hand-made". Nice stitching, nice finishing of the leather to the wheel. A quality piece, although at the same price as the Nardi, I'm not sure that's the one I'd choose.

Wood Nardis - and I've had several - are like pieces of art, in my opinion. The fit, finish, materials and overall feel are just plain superior to anything else I've seen. There's a shot of the mahogany wood "Classico" (390mm) in my '66 in my sig-pic below. Compare that even just by the picture to other wood wheels you've seen. (This isn't meant to be bragging, mind you - I didn't make the darned thing! I just love these wheels, and appreciate the quality.) And yes, you do pay the price for being hand-made and Italian, I guess. I've had this one quite a while, but it was 500-something at the time, just for the wheel. Horn and adapter are seperate. I want to say it was from an outfit called "Classico Motorsports", or something like that?
I also have a black leather Nardi with black anodized spokes that I used on my '70 for a while (pic below). That one's a slightly different style with a smaller dia., but very nice, too. I'd never had anything but their wood wheels in the past. Although obviously not as elegant looking as the mahogany, kind of a nice sport wheel. These are a lot cheaper; I think mine was just under 300.

2007Nov194.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone, thanks for the info and especially the comparison of the three with some images.

I'll definitely buy a leather-wrapped wheel.

Mike (KBMWRS), you mention your Le Carra's rim is a bit "thin." I'm using a '67 deluxe wheel and is it "thin" for me too, just like a factory plastic wheel. Is yours wood or leather-wrapped"

The two Nardi wheels you have shown do look great. You're the only one I've seen that used them in early Mustangs. Great write-up. Thanks.

You're quite welcome. Glad you liked them, too. I've tried quite a few different wheels over the years, so it's one of my few areas of "expertise"!
I was also lucky enough to get a Mustang horn button for them "back in the day". They haven't made them in years now, I guess. It's a nice additional touch that ties them into the car even better, though the std. Nardi button is great looking, too.

Back