• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Leak

"lethal289" said:
Make sure you check the mounting flange on the pan. Maybe it isn't straight.

I'll check it when it's off. The pan is one I found on ebay so who knows. I seriously considered buying a chrome one new for roughly $40 today to throw on there. Not that anyone ever sees the underside of the car but it might look pretty nice under there with the Trick Flow tranny pan...and while I have it off and all, LOL!

I put a chrome one on the 67. I like it. When I clean the underside it is easy and makes me feel good when it is done. It does look good. No one looks under there but me, but it still looks good.

Mel

I have a chrome one on the '66. When ever someone looks under the car....the comment to their friends is "WOW....look at that...he even has a chrome pan". For some reason, some really get excited about it, but then again, this is redneck country. It is easy to clean too.

Main reason I was kicking around the new pan is because the one on there now was freshly painted in October and already has a few chips and generally looks kind of crummy.

I just might order a chrome one but it is rare that anyone would look under the car besides me.

my oil pan

I bought this aluminum pan from Laurel Mountain. I think it was on sale at the time for about 90 bucks. It looks ok, how it works as far a leaking is yet to be known! If you ever do call them, ask for Kevin and tell him I said hello! I've bought just about everything on my stang from them. my hedders look so neat!!

IMG_8525-1.jpg

Personally, I'd be leary of a $40 oil pan. $40 doesn't get you a lot of quality these days. While the pan may look nice... out of the box.... it's doubtful that a $40 chrome oil pan will look good a year after installation.

What you're really looking for is a quality part designed with a thicker.... and straight.... mating surface. Quality parts will cost you more initially, but in the long run will save you a lot of time/energy. Nobody enjoys R&R'ing an oil pan on an installed engine. Do it once and be done with it.

This is a popular oil pan and the one I'm using.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-20511/

Back