• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Let's talk about headlight wiring...

gotstang

A friend of mine has been building made-to-order, plug-n-play headlight relay harnesses for trucks like his. In the process, he found some misc. parts that I didn't know existed.

This has got the both of us scheming about Mustang harnesses...I was thinking that I could make a halfway accurate, much upgraded clone of the stock harness. That lasted until I realized that it plugs into the firewall bulkhead connector and that connector is "weird". I looked on the internet and found nothing and tried to go look at my car, but it's stuck in mud and surrounded by snowdrifts. :lol

Horn relays, headlight relays, and 10awg wiring ought to be quite an upgrade. :vic

So, I'm sorta wondering if my only option is to get a hacked up harness and salvage the main connector, or if I'm better off making a harness that plugs into my existing harness?

I don't know if I can bring myself to spend $100 on a repop to carve up, but the existing wiring isn't too great after 40 years, so I probably ought to do something. :D

It's not all that difficult to simply change out the firewall connection (both sides) to something new/modern.

You can get a new re-pop harness for much less than $100 and then modify it to meet your needs as well. I grabbed one on sale for less than $60. One nice thing about going this route is that you maintain original connectors throughout and original wire colors for easy troubleshooting down the road. I'll work in a section for the headlight relays, etc. I'm just upgrading the wire gauge for the headlights to handle the higher draw the new units will create. Could it be done a bit cheaper, sure, but this way seems the best for me.

No matter what you do, I'd get new wiring under the hood. 40+ years of engine heat and elemental damage take their toll. Exterior wiring does not hold up close to as well as the stuff inside.

A cheaper solution yet is to contact me and I can sell you either or both genders of all firewall connectors. I presume you're talking about a 64.5-66 connector that's weirdly shaped, or the 69-73 green multipin connector. None of those are available in the aftermarket except by buying repro. I have several examples of each gender and year that might fit what you need. Each connector would come with 5-6" of wire attached to each plug so you can splice into it at your convenience.

Re: Let's talk about headlight wiring... YES, LET;S TALK!!

:lolHas anyone called ReenMachine recently?? The phone on their website is disconnected. Leading me to believe they're out of business.
Maybe someone knows of another vendor manufacturing a headlight harness. Cheers, Bill Palmerjavascript:void(0);

Re: Let's talk about headlight wiring... YES, LET;S TALK!!

"Gi-Ti-Up" said:
:lolHas anyone called ReenMachine recently?? The phone on their website is disconnected. Leading me to believe they're out of business.
Maybe someone knows of another vendor manufacturing a headlight harness. Cheers, Bill Palmerjavascript:void(0);

What about the post above yours in this thread.

http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/?p=8

Back