• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Loud Buzzing Noise When Starting

65fast

I am trying to track down the loud buzzing noise that happens when I go and start my car. It only happens after its been sitting for awhile, usually for a day or more. Whenever I hit the key to start it for the first time, I get some godawful buzzing noise for a second or two and then the motor finally starts to turn.

If I cycle this a few times, by the 3rd or 4th time I engage the starter, it wont make the noise and the motor starts to turn over right away. This is usually the case after I have been driving it and I park it for a few minutes, I will turn the key and no buzzing.

I thought it was a bad relay-starter cable since the old one had some age on it and melted to my hedders several times, but replacing it with a new one did nothing. I have a fairly new starter and starter relay on the car too (less than 2 years old). Any ideas?

I'm no expert, but it sounds like the solenoid is not switching correctly, which causes the buzzing sound. Even if it's only 2 years old, it could have kicked the bucket on you.

That's my guess anyway. Good luck.

Where is the "buzzing" noise coming from?

Can you isolate the noise by popping the hood and having a helper attempt to replicate the action that is causing the noise while you have your head under the hood?

That would probably a good place to start lol, I did not have anyone around the house last night for an extra hand. I will give it a shot this evening.

I troubleshot it again this evening and can feel a vibration along with the noise at the starter. It almost sounds like the starter is not fully engaging the flywheel. Its been doing this for awhile now so when I changed my clutch a few months ago I inspected the ring gear on the flywheel when I was changing cultches and noticed no abnormal wear.

So, it looks as if I need a new starter.

Agreed, I put a reman. stock one on it when I swapped in the V8 a few years ago trying to cut costs.

Any suggestions for a good mini?

I went to pep boys and got a reman for a '93 Mustang with lifetime warranty. Round $100 IIRC. When I took it out of the box I noticed it was a FoMoCo unit, well, at least the stamp is...

Back