• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Lower front cross member Boss 302

Jonk67

Is a front cross member brace like the Boss 302's used that ties in the LCA mounting points worth $200? Is there already enough lateral reinforcement down low or would a street/track car benefit from this addition? Seems a bit steep for a part like this, wish I could weld and well enough to do structure parts like this.

Seems some roll bar tubing bent and flattened at the ends then weld the tabs on like the boss 302 mods book shows wouldn't be that difficult to do but I guess the bending angle would require a pipe bender/ press to keep from flattening/kinking the bends. The stock unit is pretty thin walled, mines dented from a PO or shop using it as a jacking point so I wouldn't want to weld on it but start with thicker wall tubing.
crossmember.jpg

Just wondering if this is a feasable part for ORP or other independent chassis modder to offer? I'd be interested if the price was closer to $100 - $125 but have no idea what it'd cost to reproduce in a shop.
Jon

Doesnt look all that different from the stock cross member. After market rack would probably give more strength.

I think you could put $200 somewhere else in the car and get more for your money. Figure where the load is coming from. The only way I see needing something like that is on the track using a wide slick. The side load under cornering would be the only time.
If your racing for points or money and have an endless budget sure, why not.

Seam welding the lower arm area and adding some roll bar gussets like this would be plenty IMO.

cee-3172_w.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CEE-3172/#

We run the stock type under engine brace with the area seam welded and adding the roll bar gussets or custom gussets in the corners and overlaps.

I would rather see the money spent on safety equipment or seat time at a driving school.

I built one out of a stock crossmember and it wasn't too hard. Stiffened the crossmember up noticeably and cost me all of $5. Cobra Automotive, NPD and several other places sell them, but I couldn't stand the $150+ price tag. It's probably not the most critical part ever made, but the engine compartment in these things seems like it can use all the stiffening it can get, and hey, why not? :rofl

Ok, thanks for all the input, looks like that can wait a while and it's easily accessable if I do wish to swap later. I definately want to work on these points first "I would rather see the money spent on safety equipment or seat time at a driving school."
Jon

Back