• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Makes ya a bit nervous....

AzPete

As many on here know, we are full time RVers and have parked in Panama City on the USAF base here for a while. Well, tonight, I had a bit of excitement....things were to fast for pics....

A good sized black bear walked past our front door, about 6 foot from it. Then he wondered between the two Mustangs. I saw something pass the door and just thought it was the local cat as I did not get a good look. Then this big furry black thing wonders between the cars. He then ran in and out of several sites looking for food. The manager watched him until he moved on but one never knows if and when they will return. They do seem to run off a bit when one hits the remote locks on the cars.

I don't need to explain bear claw scratches to the ins. company.

Now, back to your regular programing.....

That was my thought too, trouble is he was looking over my cars. On all 4's, his back was just above the level of the front fender on the '66.

They frown on that action on military bases plus I am about 100 feet from a 4 lane divided road with 45 mph limits.

What makes me nervous is that your wife is in AZ and Mid is most likely out of town and your hanging out at the RV......... :wtf

Waiting to pick up my grandson when he returns from his youth trip to DC. Was due in at 8 but the bus is slow. Gotta be good.....

"AzPete" said:
They frown on that action on military bases plus I am about 100 feet from a 4 lane divided road with 45 mph limits.

but you would think, on a base of all places..you could shoot at will :crazy Sure hope the bear doesn't take a liking to your rides!

So far, any past visits (two or three annually) have not left anything more than upset garbage containers and the such. Talking with others around here this am, that bear made his rounds all thru the park. He was still about 40 feet from my door at 11:15 when I left to pick up my grandson. People have to understand you do not throw even melon rinds out in the trees....

They will most likely see if he returns in the next couple days and then trap and remove him as normal.

My Mom and Dad are the camp hosts at Juniper State Park in Ocala, they're always sending me pics and calling when they get black bears roaming around. So far, they've not had any real damage except the normal trash can raiding!

I was camping up in Wisconsin a while back, sitting around the camp fire. A Racoon strolls up like he owns the place (and he probably does), looks at the fire and heads right over to the cooler. He has no trouble opening the cooler and snooping around. Fortuneately it was only cans and he didn't seam like he wanted a beer so he closed the cooler and wandered off looking for the next victim. I sat there the whole time just a few inches away starring in amazement. I'm surprised he didn't just ask for the keys to the car so he could go into town...

Some odd things for sure. While my son & friends were camping on Mt. Graham, in Az., a racoon came to their camp and rolled a large can of pork and beans off into the woods, down a slight hill. They decided to fix him and hid the can opener.....never found that can either.

I suggest that you make sure there are no scented items in you Mustangs at all.....food, gum, chapstick, etc...
A bear can easily smash through a window and then destroy the interior.

That is always covered. I never leave anything in the cars like that. Not only for the animal problem, but they melt and several items effect my allergies. This bear would have no problem opening either car, but the Vert would be a dream for him.

You sure it was a bear? I've seen guys with hairier backs than that in Panama City...

Well lets see, large, black, furry, stunk, snorted, walked on all fours......hmmmm. Might have something there.

"AzPete" said:
Well lets see, large, black, furry, stunk, snorted, walked on all fours......hmmmm. Might have something there.

Ya know...we haven't heard from Dave Sanborn lately...I believe he had a trip down to Florida...

"Midlife" said:
You sure it was a bear? I've seen guys with hairier backs than that in Panama City...

And now you know why the sheep in Florida give a sigh of relief. Midlife is seeking his pleasures elsewhere. :hide2 :naug

Back