• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Media blasting/Air compressor

Just make sure if you are going to make a long extension cord to run a big amp draw item like a compressor you take wire size into consideration. That goes for the wiring to the "dryer" outlet as well. It was sized to carry the typical dryer load at a particular distance from the main box. Depending upon age of your house(wiring) and quality of construction, you might find the original wiring is not up to the task.
I'd first check to see if you don't have two separate 120vac circuits already in your garage space. Your outside coach lights might be wired on a diff circuit than the lights/outlets in the garage, for example. Or maybe the lights and outlets are on diff circuits. If you have two circuits...you got 220. Might be easier and safer to wire up from those sources. Just something to consider.

Big amp draw items and long cords are rarely a good way to go.

"Horseplay" said:
If you have two circuits...you got 220. Might be easier and safer to wire up from those sources.

Does it matter if those two circuits are on the same bus bar? Could be different circuits on the same bar. Which if I'm not mistaken if you tie the two together all you are doing is hooking those two circuits up in series and will still end up with 110. I only ask because a double breaker, what you use for a 220 circuit, snaps into both bars vice the same bar twice.

You're right and a good point. I forgot some people might not get the whole electrical thing.

The breakers alternate bus bars as you move down the row. If you happened to have two circuits that were both on the same line you just need to move one's position in your breaker box to grab the other line. Easy to do.

I've just seen too many temporary wiring jobs burn up do to undersized wiring or excessive run lengths. Hate to see something bad happen to anyone when there is a better way to tackle the problem.

Back