• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

MIG welding machine help

kb3

So it appears that I have picked up a couple of new projects that are going to require some metal replacement. I have very little experience in welding, but it is certainly something both the boy and I plan on learning. I do have a small 110v Lincoln, but it really is not up to any task. Looking for suggestions on what machines I should look at. Lots of good reviews on the Hobart Handlers and Millermatics, but it is new to me. Both my shop and my garage is wired for 220v, so that is not an issue.

The new projects will be posted in due time, but I think Terry will approve!

Interest piqued! Gotta be a truck, I'm figuring. I'd better get my ass back in gear and get on mine before you shame me.

You can't go wrong with Miller or Lincoln or even Hobart, really. I'm no expert but from what I've read, seen and used I think it really comes down to preference of brand more than anything when considering competing machines. On mine, I can set it to do basically a pulsed tack weld which is perfect for stitching in patch panels etc. Virtually impossible to screw up!

I bought one of the original "multi-function" units thinking it would be my end all machine. I've only ever used it as a MIG. It's great for me but I'd bet a dedicated MIG might be even better. Then again, at a hobbiest level I doubt I would need all that machine could do anyway.

My suggestion is to get either a Miller or Lincoln that is 220v with variable wire speed and power levels. Not tap points but full scale adjustability. Use good consumables and you'll be happy. Find a place to pick up a bunch of small metal bits of various gauges and practice your butt off.

Get one that works on 110V and 220V. That way you can use it anywhere. Even off a generator. I'd be happy to sell my old Daytona MIG.

Thanks for the info guys!

I was looking at the Millermatic 211 today. It has great reviews and full adjustability for both wire speed and power. It is a dual voltage unit as well.

And yes Terry, it may be trucks, but it will be years before I catch up to where you are starting from....but I have grand plans...

Get one that works on 110V and 220V. That way you can use it anywhere. Even off a generator. I'd be happy to sell my old Daytona MIG.
He's already got a decent 110v unit. For the rare occasion he might need to travel its also much more portable than a physically larger unit like he needs to get now.

On the subject of welding machines, do not discount the value of having a really good cart. One that can neatly house all the cords and lines as well as some clamps etc. and maybe even mount a couple gas tanks. Having a small tank for SS work (exhaust) on board would be really handy.

He's already got a decent 110v unit. For the rare occasion he might need to travel its also much more portable than a physically larger unit like he needs to get now.

On the subject of welding machines, do not discount the value of having a really good cart. One that can neatly house all the cords and lines as well as some clamps etc. and maybe even mount a couple gas tanks. Having a small tank for SS work (exhaust) on board would be really handy.

The cart is high on my priority list as well. I would rather purchase something than try my hand at building one, just don't have that type of time. Albeit, Miller sure asks a premium for their carts!

The millermatic 211 is a nice welder. The only advice is try to buy the welder from a local shop if you run into any issues you can take it there. Have you looked into any multiprocess welders? It's a little more but you can do more.

Build your own welding cart!!! You have a welder for that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Take it from a guy who bought a good multi-process unit...not worth the money. First, you can't have it all. The multi-process units do MIG, ARC and some variant of TIG. They don't do any one of them perfect but lean toward being MIG welders first. If you want to do TIG with one you will find you need to buy lots more stuff than comes in the original package. Even then, it's not a very good TIG process. And who uses ARC in building a car?

Get a good dedicated MIG machine. Then buy a TIG unit. You'll end up wanting both. At least I did!

Get a good grinder as well: it'll make crappy looking welds look even better!

Those flap sanding discs for the angle grinder work great at cleaning up your welds as well as getting your metal bare when the wire brush is taking to long. I’ve got a Lincoln 140 Mig. I used it for flux in the beginning because I didn’t have a gas tank. Expensive to get but running as a straight mig welder is much neater. I wish I had more adjustability with power instead of preset knob positions. Get the power, speed, and gas pressure just right makes a world of difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m late to this thread, but I’m curious which Lincoln welder you have that’s not up to the task of automotive patch work? Unless it’s more than simple automotive patch work? Having a good welder is great, but unless you’ve got hours and hours of welding, a simple Lincoln welder should certainly stand up to short sessions. Don’t cut, grind, and uh… braze me, I’m: Just curious.

Back