• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mikey, you ok?

guruatbol

Always on vacation!
Saw this today. Happened near Vegas. You Ok Mike?

Mel
2d3e6dc93f5b4ba07f51a5e283d7e78e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Oh nooooooo!
Must have been really windy. Not leaving until June.

Almost looks like a tank slapper with the truck on its right side and the trailer on its left.

Besides, Mikey will be towing the trailer with his 'vette.

Oh nooooooo!
Must have been really windy. Not leaving until June.

Almost looks like a tank slapper with the truck on its right side and the trailer on its left.

Except it’s not a truck. It appears to be a fairly small unibody SUV. Probably towing at or above the rated limit for the vehicle

That's why I didn't tow with a vehicle that JUST met the limits. A F-250 can tow beyond what I need, I don't understand when folks just buy a TV that just meets the limits.

Unfortunately many don’t think like you and me. I see plenty of 3/4 ton trucks pulling the mammoth toy haulers. I know for a fact that each one of those is pulling over their weight limit. I upgraded from the F250 to the F350 just to make sure I had enough “extra” payload capacity to feel safe about our fifth wheel

That's why I didn't tow with a vehicle that JUST met the limits. A F-250 can tow beyond what I need, I don't understand when folks just buy a TV that just meets the limits.

Glad to hear it Mike. I agree 100%. People think tow rating will cover it but They overload the truck and tongue but don’t touch manufacturer towing capacity.

GVWR and GCWR matter!

Unfortunately many don’t think like you and me. I see plenty of 3/4 ton trucks pulling the mammoth toy haulers. I know for a fact that each one of those is pulling over their weight limit. I upgraded from the F250 to the F350 just to make sure I had enough “extra” payload capacity to feel safe about our fifth wheel
The laws state that a car can tow "X" amount of wieght, so people are legal. My father taught me that the tow vehicle must weigh more than the load, or one day the tail will be wagging the dog. The experrts tell me im wrong, but good sound fatherly advice makes me feel much safer when towing, along with an electric trailer brake controller on the dash.

One thing I learned with towing is that you must have enough load onto the towing coupler and that the trailer has more load in the front then in the rear.
When the load balance of the trailer is more to the rear or even balanced , the tail will be wagging at certain speed.
You can tow a trailer that is heavier then the car , but then you have to adjust your speed and keeping distance to vehicles in front.
But is not adviseble !!!
IMHO.

I have towed my sons car from Black Forest in Germany to Belgium. Its about 500mls.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20200814_084723.jpg
    thumbnail_20200814_084723.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 15
My Excursion weighs just over 6k# and is rated at 11k# (more with weight distribution). My loaded trailer is just under 8k#. You should have 10-15% of your trailer/load weight on the trailer tongue. Ford offered an upgrade kit that replaced the grade 8 bolts with grade 10 bolts on the trailer hitch and raised the tow capacity to around 14k# (again, more with weight distribution).
shelbyhauler.jpg

Back