• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

More rear end questions! Versailles!

Waffles

OK, I was gonna pick up a 9" with 3.50 posi for $75 to partial trade with my 8" and $650 for a brand new 9" rear end with 31 spline axles, etc new brakes etc.

So

2 used rear ends and $650 for a complete brand new one.

Found a guy today. Mentions he has a versailles rear end complete with brand new disc brakes, 3.50 posi the works, he'l sell it for $300.

I know theres a few sites on the swap around. I'm looking at a few right now.

What are your thoughts? Is this the way to go? 4 wheel disc brakes then? Is the swap something someone with much technical ability but no experience with rear ends should be able to do? Or would I be better off paying someone to do the swap? Would I need anything else besides the rear end? All the brake parts are there, I think I need a new yoke, but do I need a different M/C? What about brake lines? I'll make it a winter project, but $300, prolly talk him down to $250 or $275, seems like a good price to me.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Eric

Although I've never done one, the versailles swap seems to be a popular one.

Aside from the aforementioned obstacles, ensure the gears are in fact 3.50. As I understand it, most versailles rears came with a numerically lower gearset... e.g., 2.79.

The disc brake calipers would have to be adapted to your existing E brake system. Exactly how this is done I forget, but there is a way forward.... special brackets or something, I forget.

Yes, your existing brake hard lines would have to be altered and at a minimum a proportioning valve would need to be installed into the rear brake line. The best way to do it is to install a 4 wheel disc master cylinder, but not everyone does this.

The versialles swap seems like it'll probably be more of a headache when compared to your other deal. $650 for a 31 spline 3.50 Traclok drum to drum rearend..... installed.... is a really good deal and shouldn't take more than a few hours from start to finish. The versialles swap on the other hand could be a couple weeks of work while you're making the necessary modifications to make it work.

If it were me, I'd probably go with your original deal if it's still on the table.

Fair enough, I'll look a bit more into it, but the original deal is just a bit more of a headache, hes about 4 hours south of me, wants me to drop the car off one saturday then pick it up the following saturday... so thats two 4 hour trips, you know?

I put the Versailes 9" rear in my 67. Mine came with the E-brake cables for the Lincoln so it was just a matter of swaping them with the axle. The Gear ratio was 2.79 but the center section is an easy swap. I swapped a traction lock center section from a van that had a yoke I could use. I did have an 8" and the 9" axle tubes are larger diameter so you will need the shock plates and U-bolts for a 9". My rear axle also had the brake lines still on it but I put SS lines on my car so I replaced them and the rubber lines and the rotors. The key to the swap is pinion angle. The Versailes had shims/wedge for some reason so make sure you get those or the pinion angle will be wrong. Also the Versailes rear is the same width as a 65/66 Mustang which is narrower than the 67-70. That works out pretty cool if you have aftermarket wheels with the right offset but stock wheels will need spacers on your 70.

Back