• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

More wiring identification help

I hope you bought a voltage regulator as well.

Now then...I see from your early pictures that you're using a serpentine belt, and not a V-belt. Is that still true? The alternator you bought probably has a pulley for the v-belt. I believe you should be able to have the two pulleys exchanged...

No I didn't buy a new voltage regulator. I already have one (silver box located on drivers side radiator support) and wasn't sure if I was going to need a different one or not so didn't get it. Was gonna ask here first before I spent the $. Hubby is already gritting his teeth on the money I've spent over the last week on new wiring, a new alternator, new intake for my '03 Mustang. :roll

Correct. I still have a serpentine setup. Here's a 'before it was painted' picture
IMG_4560.jpg

and this is the alternator I bought
BesTest - Alternator Part # 01-0155X

So do I have to swap pulleys? :shrug

I do not remember if the amp gauge on that cluster did not work (did we check it Mid?) or if it was just because it was not hooked up so I would not have seen it function. The car had a 1 wire I believe so it would not have been hooked into the system....but the memory is getting old.........

I recall it being said it didn't work and that I'd have to replace it. And looking at the back of it, it looked burnt. Plus this thread
http://www.stangfix.com/testforum2/inde ... #msg107166

Last edited by a moderator:
I probably have a few working ammeters around. I can donate it to you if you promise to be nice...errr...naughty!

"Midlife" said:
I probably have a few working ammeters around. I can donate it to you if you promise to be nice...errr...naughty!

I don't think I know how to be nice :beer If you have a working one laying around for a 66 that would be awesome. :thu

I checked out my new alternator and I do believe it's for serpentine.
newalt1.jpg

Back view.. it has the correct plugs for the stock harness I bought!! :yah Oh and when I inspected it at the store, I asked the lady behind the counter about the sticker recommending getting a new VR. She was like 'umm I'm not sure'. :wtf Ok well go ask someone else that works there maybe? Did she bother...Nope. So like I said, I wasn't sure if I needed a new one or not so was going to wait. If I need a new one I can go pick one up tomorrow.
newalt2.jpg

That sticker is there because usually when you replace the alternator, it is due to electrical reasons (i.e. you fried things). In your case, you replaced it due to a change of wiring systems. If your previous system was able to charge the battery, you'll be fine.

:yah It all hooks up!!

alt01.jpg

Just to double check...
Orange = BAT
White = FLO or FLD.. can't read the lettering on the alt
Black/Red with small eye = GRD
What does the black/red with large eye go to? Solenoid or bolted to the block?
altwiring.jpg

And one other quick question... this black/red from the headlight harness. What does it to bolt too?
huh.jpg

Yep....belt is loose. Is it routed correctly....over the water pump, under the tension pulley? When I run into these problems, I will buy belts that are in 1" shorter lengths....2-3 sizes. Try them and return the wrong ones.

"AzPete" said:
Yep....belt is loose. Is it routed correctly? When I run into these problems, I will buy belts that are in 1" shorter lengths....2-3 sizes. Try them and return the wrong ones.

I'm pretty sure it's on there the way it was. :confu

Pardon my diagram skills... but you get the idea. lol The belt is on like so.

Attachments

• belt.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 4
Looking at the pic you had without the water pump pulley, the belt was on top of the tension pulley....that looks wrong...got a new pic?

Fox_5.0_Smog_AC_PS_Delete.jpg

Yep....get a shorter belt.....try several as the tension pulley should just have enough room to slip the belt under when it is pulled up against the spring. That way, there is enough spring tension to keep it tight.

Makes no difference of the part number as long as the belt fits the rib numbers and will hold tight.

"Kats66Pny" said:
:yah It all hooks up!!

alt01.jpg

Just to double check...
Orange = BAT
White = FLO or FLD.. can't read the lettering on the alt
Black/Red with small eye = GRD
What does the black/red with large eye go to? Solenoid or bolted to the block?
That goes to the block just below the alternator and where the battery ground wire goes
altwiring.jpg

And one other quick question... this black/red from the headlight harness. What does it to bolt too?
It goes under one of the bolt heads that go through the VR housing for mounting: it is the ground. There should be another ring connector with two black wires that also ties into that point.
huh.jpg

"Kats66Pny" said:
It's on there like this...just like the pic you posted.

tn.jpg
As Pete said, get a few shorter belts and use the one that is best suited. Take your old belt to the parts store for comparison. Did your old alt have a larger pulley on it? Might be the difference.

I took my old one to the store... showed the guy, told him what was going on and he gave me one that was 46". Brought it home, and it fit. :thu

Back