• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Motor installation question

Dne'

Hi ya'll! I'm maybe only a few weeks, or sooner, for installing my motor :pep, but I'm concerned about how to attach to it to install. I was told about the engine lift plate which attaches to the intake carb bolts, Moroso in this ad photo. Is this ok to work with the aluminum intakes? I have the dread feeling of the little bolts not holding up a heavy motor with "other" things attached. Any advice here?
thanks always,
dne'

MOR62670.jpg

IMG_7409.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That works just fine. Your engine weighs about 500 pounds, and each bolt only needs to support 125 pounds each, a pittance for good quality grade 5 bolts.

I was reluctant to use a lift plate, but my buddy convinced me to do so, and it was not a problem. Using chains attached to the opposite heads will cause scratches to your valve covers and heads if you're not careful. The plate eliminates that issue entirely!

I put a 429 in my 57 with one, it hold that little tiny small block!!! As Midlife points out, use good bolts, no cheapies you have in coffee can on the bottom shelf.

I used a similar plate on an aluminum intake when installing the 390, with the C-6 attached. It worked fine.

OK, just needed to see what ya'll had to say. Still amazes me that four little tiny bolts screwed into aluminum can hold up a heavy motor! I'm ordering one now!

Dne'

Do you plan on putting a longer bolt in the upper alternator hole? I saw the pic in the randon image gallery and clicked on it. Noticed that the upper bolt does not mount to the head as it should.

71_14_01_09_4_08_42.JPG

Is there anything to these "lifting plates" or are they just a steel plate with a few holes drilled in it and a hook welded on? I was going to make one instead of paying shipping/taxes from the US.

"Johnny M" said:
Is there anything to these "lifting plates" or are they just a steel plate with a few holes drilled in it and a hook welded on? I was going to make one instead of paying shipping/taxes from the US.

Thats basically it, not much to them

As long as you trust your welds/welder, you should be able to make one for far cheaper than buying/shipping one.

Heater hose/intake manifold

C'mon guys! ya'll know me better than that, that I would leave the alternator just hanging. It was just a photo to show the motor~ it's still aways from completion. I installed the Flaming River p/s pump on it a few days ago. However, if you're keen eyes can focus on the intake manifold, just beside the larger than life distributor where the heater hose will go; it's going to be very close! Is there a 45degree spiket/outlet to screw in?

"Fast68back" said:
Dne'

Do you plan on putting a longer bolt in the upper alternator hole? I saw the pic in the randon image gallery and clicked on it. Noticed that the upper bolt does not mount to the head as it should.

71_14_01_09_4_08_42.JPG

Back