• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mustang magazines

RagTop

Old Grumpy
Man, am I out of it, or what? I popped for the $5.99 yesterday for a copy of Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine. I used to read that publication occasionally because it was more "gear headed" than Mustang Monthly. WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT MAG? There wasn't a single first gen Mustang in the entire issue. They even had a photo of a Mustang II Cobra with that stupid snake on the hood. Beyond that it was packed with skanky looking pouty blondes in bikinis languishing on equally skanky looking SN197 Mustangs. It was like leafing through a throwback issue of Hot Rod from the 60s. I'm not knocking a little T&A, but, come on, there must have been something built prior to 1993 from Dearborn that merits some of their ink. I can't find Mustang Monthly on the local magazine racks. I stopped reading that when they dedicated half the magazine to the "new 2005 Mustang" back in 2004. Do they mention 65-73 on their pages? What's a good vintage Mustang publication now?

I get mustang monthly. It's the only print magazine I still get. They have cut back on the late model stuff. I think a lot people were kind of saying the same thing.

All my magazines are now digital. I read them on my tablet then delete them. I recently got muscle mustangs and fast fords and haven't liked it at all. I really don't get into the newer stuff either. One magazine I like is muscle car review. But it tends to have a lot of Mopar and Chevy issues. But it's a good mix of vintage muscle. I'm into all classics.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

There's one or two mags out there right now that are trying to cover the vintage cars. I'll see if I can find a current link. It seems they come and go pretty quick. As far as main stream mags though, forget it.

"RapidRabbit" said:
I get mustang monthly. It's the only print magazine I still get. They have cut back on the late model stuff. I think a lot people were kind of saying the same thing.

As far as MM goes, if it falls on it's face...too bad. They made that bed, they can lie in it. Many years ago there was an editorial quote stating they would NEVER put modified cars in the magazine. When they started doing that a number of people, including myself, raised hell about it....directly to them at shows, not via internet posts or emails. Their response was "A lot of people have been upset by it". Then they added the Fox stuff...when the Fox bodies were still new. The Fox body and SN95 stuff then started dominating the magazine. Again people raised hell and were ignored. They even tried to play a numbers game with the articles justifying they had more vintage stuff again, when in actuality they didn't.

When Farr sold the magazine (to Petersen IIIRC), it eventually turned it into a totally different magazine than what it started out as (and that had built it's subscribers). I dumped my subscription (which I had for over 15 years), and many others did the same. While it has been popular with the "newer" folks into Mustangs and the late model fans, IMHO unless you get a few vintage issues and look through them, you can't truly appreciate what disappeared.

So for the rant, but MM has been a sore subject with me for MANY years! :rant

"Ponyman66" said:
When Farr sold the magazine (to Petersen IIIRC), it eventually turned it into a totally different magazine than what it started out as (and that had built it's subscribers). I dumped my subscription (which I had for over 15 years), and many others did the same. While it has been popular with the "newer" folks into Mustangs and the late model fans, IMHO unless you get a few vintage issues and look through them, you can't truly appreciate what disappeared.

+1 here

I like to read Popular Hot Rodding which seems to be heading to more pro-touring type cars.

Darreld
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't read any of those rags anymore, same with newspapers. I get all of my news from the Daily Kos and The Daily Show.

Back