• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My 67

"Jonk67" said:
Yeah, with the roots style you'll probably need a hole in the hood too to clear the blower and carb. You may want to also consider the Paxton centrifugal style, a little easier to live with but you'll need a blow through carb. A blower will also require lower compression like 9:1 or so or lower, any idea what your compression ratio is? This'll change the cam you will want to use too.
You really need to plan out your whole motor and drivetrain, plan your work and work your plan.
Jon
That's why I'm here :p I really like the roots style, but I don't really know what I'm doing. Have looked on youtube a bit but nothing really helped.

"Jonk67" said:
You really need to plan out your whole motor and drivetrain, plan your work and work your plan.
Jon

+1 HERE !!!!!!

You can't cut corners here when you built a powerplant.( you throw away alot of money when you don't stick with the plan )
You first must think things over here.( How much do I wanna spent ?)
How do I gonna use the car ? Street / Strip / Race ?
How much power do I want ?
What kind of transmission do I need ? ( which can handle that power )
What rear end is the best for my powerplant/trans ?
Which suspension is suitable for all that ? Panhard bare or not / traction bares or not ect ect. Brakes setup ???, and so on.
You have to think things through and stick to the plan as said before here on the forum.

But we are here to help you.
Ask as much questions as you have.
Buy some books to learn about engines / trans and so on.
I am 54 and still buy once in awhile a book (right now I am into AOD/AODE/4R70W trans)
B.

"B67FSTB" said:
"Jonk67" said:
Jon

+1 HERE !!!!!!

You can't cut corners here when you built a powerplant.( you throw away alot of money when you don't stick with the plan )
You first must think things over here.( How much do I wanna spent ?)
How do I gonna use the car ? Street / Strip / Race ?
How much power do I want ?
What kind of transmission do I need ? ( which can handle that power )
What rear end is the best for my powerplant/trans ?
Which suspension is suitable for all that ? Panhard bare or not / traction bares or not ect ect. Brakes setup ???, and so on.
You have to think things through and stick to the plan as said before here on the forum.

But we are here to help you.
Ask as much questions as you have.
Buy some books to learn about engines / trans and so on.
I am 54 and still buy once in awhile a book (right now I am into AOD/AODE/4R70W trans)
B.

It's going to be street/racing. Every day driver but not far.
Unsure of the tranny that I have.
I believer I have an 8 inch rear.
I have stock suspension.
What is the panhard bare? never heard of that.

Like others have said, you need to sit down and make a list of what you have, what you want to do with the car and then find someone local that can really help you figure out a complete package. Throwing parts together will only result in an empty wallet and dissatisfaction with the end result.

Planning the build requires minimal money and will yield maximum results!

these guys are right! You can build your dream car but you need a plan. Street and strip are probably the biggest compromise. What works good on the strip is not fun to drive on the street. And obviously a great street car will not be the fastest on the strip. I built my first engine as all out radical as I could go and then had a high stall converter and low gears. The car was wicked but miserable on the street. It was fussy, hard to start, sucked gas and needed high octane fuel. It got to the point I didn't like to drive it because it was too much effort, expense and risky that I would even get where I was going.
A supercharger or turbo is a good way to wake up an otherwise mild engine so it's a great choice as a power adder while keeping the car streetable but the engine will need to be built to handle the boost. The engine, cooling system, trans, suspension to some degree, and so on need to be built as a package because you find the weakest link, trust me!
Anyway, we have guys with race cars, guys with blown cars and turbo cars here so you will find all the advice you can handle!

Been real busy lately. Mustang will be on it's way end of the month finally. :nwort :yah

New seats have been put in after reupholster. They look great!

Attachments

• 10261921_10202872713714544_736186216_n.jpg
    10261921_10202872713714544_736186216_n.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 10259381_10202872715074578_1944235156_n.jpg
    10259381_10202872715074578_1944235156_n.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 53
Ok so I do like to do things a little differently, kind of be unique I guess.

I saw a deal and took it, fiberglass bumpers. Still waiting on them, they were supposed to be delivered thursday, but easter/good friday stopped that.

People over at the depot place I bought the bumpers from sent the wrong ones, but had the right ones on paper. I sent them back and the called and didn't know what to do with them even though I JUST talked to them. Never buying from them again.

But other than that can't really update anything. VPC (car sending place) lost their contract with the Army. Next closest one is LA or Long beach (8 hours too far for my dad.) So stuck in a giant hole right now. Still trying though! :dun

Back