• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My latest demo project

msell66

The party’s over
Donator
Since the car is well sorted and running well, I needed a project. Knew when we bought this place almost two years ago that the rear deck was gonna go. It was old, ratty, built terrible and not all that sturdy. Deb and I started on it last Wednesday and I finished it up today.

This is what it looked like before we bought it. The screened porch was not touched!
IMG_0022.PNG

I went to town with the sawzall and the chainsaw.
65038274999__0A1A5642-7C86-470F-A8FA-0401799BD619.jpg
65038668568__2E5F5E5E-7835-4F20-A338-5342ABE4DD82.jpg

Had to do some frame repair behind the old ledger board. Fixed that and added more insulation behind it and finished it off with a piece of flashing. I tried finding more of the vinyl siding, but no luck. Got a gallon of ext paint matched to the siding. Primed all with Kilz and then topcoated everything.
65075209857__44E81557-08BB-4D47-8737-5283464DB016.jpg

Once the repairs were finished, I had to address the dirt. While there has never been a water intrusion problem, I decided to work the ground and get the slopes a little better. That's where the Tiller came in handy. Two days on that toy took care of the dirt. Once I got that ground where I wanted it, I addressed the areas under the windows. Dug out more dirt and added walls and river rock. The entire area that was under the old deck was a combo of pea gravel and dirt and was that way as far as I dug down (at least 2'), so again, was not worried about adding a drain down to the weeping tile system.
IMG_0037.jpg

Did a little more grading today. Mixed in some topsoil and the grass seed went a flying. Covered it all in a biodegradable straw mat and gave it some water. I'm calling it done and hope that the grass grows!

IMG_0039.jpg

Did I inspire everybody to do some work on the house ????
Well done Mark !! You know...happy wife, happy life .
Now off to the track !!!

Finished the new deck today. This TREX like stuff is nice, but what a PITA to install. I would never recommend this to anyone that was going to DIY. Don’t get me wrong, the finished product is great!

a4aa62ebdbea7d2ff0c1fbdf799eeeac.jpg

fc1d824ff4e36c4c86fc90d970abf916.jpg

Still have to move the door, steps, add the vinyl lattice around old deck, re paint and re screen. Tomorrow the smoker gets moved onto its new home. Monday is brisket day!

Mark

Looks good Mark!

I know I am late to the party, but the latest in decking is powder coated extruded aluminum decking. I looked at trex for the houseboat deck, but everyone has made the move to this product.

More expensive than trex, but easier to work with and is supposed to stay cooler to the touch. Time will tell.

What time should we be over for the brisket? Hopefully you are not using one of those lady-man pellet smokers!

Looks good Mark!

I know I am late to the party, but the latest in decking is powder coated extruded aluminum decking. I looked at trex for the houseboat deck, but everyone has made the move to this product.

More expensive than trex, but easier to work with and is supposed to stay cooler to the touch. Time will tell.

What time should we be over for the brisket? Hopefully you are not using one of those lady-man pellet smokers!

Pit Boss pellet grill FTW. Smoke with real wood, just in pellets. A smoker so easy, maybe even Hoserplay could cook something edible.

Mark

That looks really good, Mark. I am planning on replacing the deck surfaces next year on mine and Trex (or similar) was the plan. What's so bad about the install?

Powder coated aluminum and it's supposed to be cooler than what? The surface of the sun?

That looks really good, Mark. I am planning on replacing the deck surfaces next year on mine and Trex (or similar) was the plan. What's so bad about the install?

Powder coated aluminum and it's supposed to be cooler than what? The surface of the sun?

It’s a bitch getting the boards straight and fastened using the concealed fasteners. None of the boards are straight or flat. You’d think they would be, being a manufactured product, but nope. All those YT videos of the boards being straight and flat where they just slide together are faked!

The finished product looks great and should outlive me!

Mark

You know you would assume that since a guy was nice enough to supply a link, another guy would take a look at it before making a Mark level comment. They have some interesting videos showing the temperature of different deck materials in direct sunlight. Supposedly, the extruded aluminum design allows it to be cooler than solid substrates. It must work, all the houseboats on my lake are going that direction, and trust me shoes are not a thing on boats.

Pit Boss pellet grill FTW. Smoke with real wood, just in pellets. A smoker so easy, maybe even Hoserplay could cook something edible.

Mark
That's cute. I will keep my Weber Smoky Mountain, sure it takes a bit more skill, but my oh my does it make delicious brisket, ribs, turkeys, tri trips, pulled pork.....damn, now I am hungry!

That's cute. I will keep my Weber Smoky Mountain, sure it takes a bit more skill, but my oh my does it make delicious brisket, ribs, turkeys, tri trips, pulled pork.....damn, now I am hungry!

Do you prefer candles to electricity, hand well pump to pressurized water delivery and horse and buggy over the ICE too?

Mark

You do realize I am Amish, right?!

It’s the age old argument of real smokers vs pellet grills. I will still show up for some of your brisket, I am not picky

You know you would assume that since a guy was nice enough to supply a link, another guy would take a look at it before making a Mark level comment. They have some interesting videos showing the temperature of different deck materials in direct sunlight. Supposedly, the extruded aluminum design allows it to be cooler than solid substrates. It must work, all the houseboats on my lake are going that direction, and trust me shoes are not a thing on boats.
Sorry I didn't spend half an hour seeking out that info that is only covered in a short demo video! You didn't have to get so nasty as to insinuate me to be as ignorant as {.}. That's just rude.

I get that it dissipates heat more efficiently than some other materials but I still find it hard to believe it could be more comfortable. Interesting.

Looks great Mark.

I did Trex on my deck last fall. It is a bit of a pain, but it will last longer. It does get hot though.

I had to add a lot of extra bracing. The Trex is like spaghetti. Very wavy unless the structure has the right support.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Sorry I didn't spend half an hour seeking out that info that is only covered in a short demo video! You didn't have to get so nasty as to insinuate me to be as ignorant as {.}. That's just rude.

I get that it dissipates heat more efficiently than some other materials but I still find it hard to believe it could be more comfortable. Interesting.

That was a bit over the line, even for me. I guess I was a bit hangry.

I am just going off what I have seen and been told by fellow boat owners. Give me a few months and I will be able to confirm first hand on my deck. I can tell you my existing stained pine decking is way too hot to walk on when it sees direct sunlight.

The other advantage of the aluminum….it’s straight and uniform. As Mark and Pat can attest, Trex is not so much.

Hard to believe aluminium doesn't get that hot in the sun. Maybe they pump water through the profile ??
BTW my deck has concrete tiles...Its hot and it cracks under severe sunshine condition.
Don't have the money for a fancy deck.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Unlike my California friend I don't walk around shoeless so I don't know how hot my cedar deck boards might get.

Back