• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My new daily fix

Kooter

I probably won't be posting much since my car across the PacificOcean but I will be in the background learning about the things that need to get done to my car. I will chime in every once in a while but I have very limited knowledge when it comes to cars.

Attached is a pic. of my car just before it was shipped to Iowa while the family and I headed to Japan.

Attachments

• Mustang ship (4).JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 77
Welcome. You could have shipped that car to me in Fl. for good care. Better than it freezing in Iowa.

We are stationed on NAF Atsugi on Mainland but currently I am on Camp Hansen going through career course. Were you ever over here when you were in?

"Kooter" said:
We are stationed on NAF Atsugi on Mainland but currently I am on Camp Hansen going through career course. Were you ever over here when you were in?

Why, yes he was as a matter of fact. And there is photographic evidence.......sorry Dave, could not help myself :lol
dsnjoverfuji.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, been to Atsugi many times. I did almost 4 years south of you at MCAS Iwakuni. For 2 of those years I was the Powerplants Division production control chief and we had an MOU with Atsugi where they sent approx. 20 of their sailors down to us to help build engines. I dealt with the staff at Atsugi almost on a daily basis.

Japan was my second best tour (Hawaii came in first!).

Career Course.... sorry to hear that. I escaped ALL formal career courses! I never even went to NCO school. Timing is everything! You're over there on an accompanied billet? If it would have been possible, I'd have done my entire 22 years on mainland Japan, I loved it over there! Some of my buddies married local girls and never came back to the US. Lucky them!

Kooter, sounds like a good deal for Dad to take care of the car, and for you to save up some coin. Take that COLA you are getting and hide it in a bank (that's hidden from yourself, don't play that game with the wife), or at least resist the urge to drink it all away. It disappears quick, trust me, I know. Another option is to start buying parts and ship them to dad's and you'll have a pile of stuff to do on leave when you get home. Lots of ways to skin that cat.

Dave, I would still be on active duty if I had been sent to Iwakuni for a 3 year tour instead of being sent to Va Beach. Absolutely loved it there while on UDP, had a blast in Atsugi (ahem, won't lie, only flew in to go to Rapungi). Its also a great place from which to see a lot of history. Toured a good bit of Okinawa, Hiroshima, ROK (including going to the DMZ), walking Mt Surabachi and the landing beaches at Iwo Jima, etc, etc. Incredible experiences. I have heard from more than one reputable source that after 6 months there I was downing a fifth of JD by myself, and that I have a tendency to run around naked and urinate on the outside of buildings when I am excessively inebriated. I cannot personally attest to any of those accusations though.

Career Course.... sorry to hear that. I escaped ALL formal career courses! I never even went to NCO school. Timing is everything! You're over there on an accompanied billet? If it would have been possible, I'd have done my entire 22 years on mainland Japan, I loved it over there! Some of my buddies married local girls and never came back to the US. Lucky them!

Now the courses are mandatory if you want to keep getting promoted. They wouldn't be so bad if we didn't PT so much. We ran a 7 mile formation run yesterday and today we did 1/2 mile and 1/4 sprints. We kept having to do them over since everyone wasn't finishing in the required time. I can hardly walk my legs hurt so bad. At least I only have five more weeks left.

Sigtauenus,

I recently did start both of your suggestions. I am hoping to have enough saved up to paint my car when this tour is over. I really would like to get the car painted while I am here. It is starting to get surface rust all over it since it is in rattle can primer. The Iowa summer was not kind to me.

You sure have explored a lot of Japan. The family and I are planning to go to Hiroshima this coming summer. Here's a pic of the family and I in Karmakura at the big budda. Rapungi is quite the party place. My OIC blew through 12 grand in a week there. The strippers were sad to see him leave. I stay away b/c $20 for a mixed drink is to rich for my blood.

Attachments

• Kamakura (20).JPG
    123 KB · Views: 25
Kooter, several of the trips I did were MWR trips. Yes, you pay a standard fee then get on a bus with 80 of your new best friends, but the sight seeing is great. Also, the base MWR sometimes sets up trips for the wives too. I remember the guys in Iwakuni talking about their wives getting a day trip to Osan in the C-12 set up to go shopping. The trip to Iwo Jima may be harder to set up, but you never know until you ask. It has been done by a request for transpo via C-130 before for Marines.

Yes, C-12 shopping trips to Osan were the norm when I was in Iwakuni. I also have some sand from the beach of Iwo Jima in a zip-lock bag.

What can't be easily conveyed is the experience of living in Japan. I could go on and on about how great it was, but it would be completely lost on most people that haven't actually lived there.

Back