• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My next project

kb3

Picked this up today for my next project. The second picture is a hint of what is to come.

f26917e10184400f30ddb5293a209e0d.jpg

7e84cc4132e840d8484dca8041461308.jpg

So what are you putting that V8 into?????

Is it for the Bronco?

Inquiring minds need to know.....

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Good guesses, all the way around. And while I envy the life of a soccer mom and would really enjoy putting a pathetic 210hp motor in my fastback, Pat wins the guessing game.

Since the 351 I was going to put in my Bronco seems to be damaged, I decided to take a different path. The Explorer 302 and AWD version of the 4R70 are a perfect combo for my Bronco. Yes Terry, I will be utilizing the Ford fuel injection most likely as it is dependable and I can strip this Explorer of all its useful bits. Even the 8.8 3.73 limited slip rear end will find its way into another project on the list. And yes Terry I will be building it into a wimpy 347.

The car is nearly perfect, except for some paint issues. It is somewhat sad to be stripping it for its heart and soul, but those will live on.

You couldn't have handled the power of a 408 anyway. A 347 will probably be too much. Is it too late to search out an old turbo SVO 4-banger donor?

Oh I am saving the 408 for another project on my list. The 302/4R70 is just a better combo for the Bronco. I still have several other rigs in the background to build.....one may even get a Godzilla under the hood.

Ooohh...could we have a race to a Godzilla build happening at the Fix? I'm sure there are others thinking about one too. I've been toying with the idea of buying one to sit in the corner for a bit. Pricing is so tempting. Dirt cheap for what it is out of the crate. More and more aftermarket stuff being developed too. If you're not aware, check out Indy Power Products stuff, for example. I'm thinking buy it and by the time I'm ready to go with it the other stuff will be plentiful and more reasonably priced.

When looking at crate motors for the Bronco I checked Ford Motorsport for the same 306 long block that is in the fastback. That thing has skyrocketed to north of $8k, for a pushrod small block! The Godzilla motor comes in quite a bit cheaper. Can’t explain it. Very tempted to put one on the shelf…I have a project just crying for a motor like that. Unfortunately that project is #3, possibly #4 in line behind my Bronco and 71 F100.

Ford is deliberately and very wisely selling it so cheap. GM has dominated the aftermarket with the LS motors for quite a while now. The Coyote and other Ford modulars are too expensive and difficult for use in the hot rod world. You can't shoehorn the new 5.0 into lots of old school rides no matter how hard you try. Its too damn wide. The GODZILLA is going to be the go to across much of the spectrum. 7.3 L of pure potential out of the box. I figure about a year (likely less) before the price takes a big jump and never comes down again.

I see one in the '52 in a few years or less. I'm taking the time now to build the chassis to be capable of something a hell of a lot more powerful than the boosted flathead mill. Even designing the reworked engine bay to accommodate it. That old school engine will slip into a 30's rod pretty quick. At least that's the path I'm envisioning.

You are worse than me, always steps ahead mentally compared to the time and money we have to throw at these things.

My 71 F100 is going to keeps its big FE motor, but I will find a use for the Godzilla….maybe in one of my fat fendered rigs

On the money side of things I made my own speed bump. Not sure if I revealed it here yet (WARNING: SPOILER ALERT)...

I'm actually currently building not one but two flathead engines. Well, technically I am building one and having another built by a professional entity whose identity I am not ready to divulge just yet. Yeah. You gotta wait. It's a long story of why but suffice to say there is a stupid amount of funds having been devoted to it. Down the road I'll flip a flatty which will cover the price tag of my Godzilla. I view it as an eclectic investment strategy. lol

That should come as a surprise to no one!! I keep telling myself I will sell one of my builds when I am done with it, knowing that I never part with vehicles. An engine, maybe. Can’t wait to hear more about the professional built one. You know I hear Mark is good with engines!

For anyone not aware, the Ford 7.3 Godzilla motor is 446 cu in, 508 hp and 515 ft lbs stock, and Summit is selling them for $6850 right now.

Old school push rod engine in a small package as well. Stock bottom-end can take boost and a whole lot more power potential. Doesn't take much to get another 100-200 added to those numbers. For a point of reference, my pro-built flathead will be close to three times that cost by the time I complete it and make it turn key...and it'll put out about 300/300. But you can't beat the look and exhaust note :D

Back