• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My thoughts on Mustang interior paint

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Thought I'd put down some comments on my recent experience regarding trying to match a non black interior paint color using Urethane.

After seeing so many Mustang with Parchment having different shades of upholstery vs dash, my goal was to make everything match as close as possible. The areas in question are the exposed metal portion (dash, door interior, A pillars when applicable) to match the door panels and seat upholstery.

I found the 68 Parchment from TMI to be something different than others. I also believe parchment varies from 65/66 to 67/68? If you look closely, you will see that parchment upholstery has multiple colors such as white, yellow, tan.

So when matching, you go from color to color, making it difficult to decide which shade is correct. This is a big problem for your local auto paint supplier gun scanners. Their guns simply don’t know which color to recognize.

I originally had a door panel of TMI’s material scanned to get the color of the metal portion. As noted above, since Parchment has different colors involved, what the scanner came up with was close yet not close enough, so we had to start adding some black, yellow, etc until we were happy. The PPG Deltron 2000 DBC number I started out with was # 26090. After that there was a lot of massaging.

Clear coat.
You normally do not want the interior to be as shinny as the exterior, thus if we use the same paints (Urethanes by DuPont, PPG, etc), you will need to flatten the clear coat. Depending on what clear MFG you use, will determine the ratio between clear:hardner:flattener. The flattener I used was PPG's DX685.

My painter George uses Medallion Clear #RS6100 with a typical ratio of 2:1 [clear : hardener], Thus after adding flattener, the ratio became 2:1:1 [clear coat : hardener : flattener}. Less than 1 part of flattener, it was too shinny. More than 1 part it became too flat. Everyone's case might cause these ratio's to change. If you use PPG DCU2042, the ratio recommended is 4:1 (clear:hardener). The amount of flattener you add might be different than just 1 part. You need to experiment.

What I say here is not gospel. Each time you add a variance, you get a very different result. If you have access to a gun and a big compressor, shoot some sprayout cards. I think I shot 15+ cards before I achieved what I liked.

Finally this is only assuming you are using a Urethane paint. Maybe those who use enamel or laquer have easier results.

Food for thought. Maybe someone else has more comment, suggestions.

Back