• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need opinions please

I have to say the tire and wheel selection this time around has been the
hardest out of everything. Since my rear end is not stock, I am able to go with a bigger backspace. Figuring that and deciding on which wheel I can use (one's that I like) has aged me ten years :crazy. Not to mention the fact that I ordered two M/T ET's that didn't fit. That was only $750. I was able to send them back but will eat $170 for shipping. Please, no salt Dave! :zip I have narrowed it down to two drag radials that I like and that will fit. The Nitto 555r and the BFG G-Force drag radial for the rears. For the front I will use a tire from the same manufacture that looks the closest in tread pattern as the rear. The Nitto extreme and the KDWII respectively. I know what Darreld will say :naug Anyway, here are my wheel choices. I just need to decide between the two.

I just found these the other day and like them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110340326425#ht_5298wt_1041

And these, the FR500, I thought I made up my mind on these until I seen the racelines. If I decide on the FR500s, they will be silver 9/10's
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-Mustang-wheels-FR500-rims-cobra-bullet-bullitt-e7_W0QQitemZ380103986014QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item380103986014&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72:543|65:12|39:1|240:1318#ht_5254wt_1146

First, I think the 2 links are the same.
Also, what car are these going on?
If the 2nd link were for FR500s, those wheels are nice.
I haven't seen them before on vintage stangs, but they are really getting (too) common on S197s.

Thanks, I fixed it. Here is a photoshop of the FR500's.
http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn405/valleyfirearms/fr500classicju5.jpg[/img]]
1_17_02_09_9_02_35.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Darreld, how do those KDW2's hook up? I really like the tread pattern but I want a good radial that will hook. I know you have the same problem I have.

I can break the tires loose pretty easy but I am not running drag radials. They generally break loose when I am under boost and am into the throttle. When I don't drop the clutch and ease into the boost they hook up great and the car pulls VERY HARD. I don't have much to compare them to with this car since my old wheels were 70 series 14" tires and a tired old 6 banger. I guess those tires hooked up better since I never hear the tires chirp. :rofl

Mike,

You'll need to run wheel spacers as both of those wheels have large amounts of back spacing.

Personally, I feel that both of those wheel styles are better suited for a later model Mustang.... or a ghetto cruiser.

No worries Dave. My rear end is wider than normal and I can run up to a 7" backspace and still be ok. I received a great quote from a vendor on e-bay.

10" X 41mm backspace (6.62")redlines w/295/35-18 BFG drag radial

9" X 25mm backspace (5.49") redlines w/235/40-18 BFG KDW2

Total pkg, mounted, balanced, lug nut, and shipped to Seattle for $1295.

P.S.
Rick, you have a ghetto cruiser. :rofl

I ordered my wheel/tire pkg today. I went with the racelines. They quoted me the wrong price though. I knew it was too good to be true. Apparently the guy only quoted one front tire and one rear tire. I ended up paying an extra $388. :doh I don't know when I will get them. I will have them sent to my freight forwarder in Seattle. From there I will let them sit until they have a full load before they send it to Alaska to cheapen my part of the deal.

My tires and wheels are on the barge as I type this. They left Seattle yesterday. I should have them Monday or Tuesday of next week.

I also found a set of new 295/35-18 BFG drag radials on e-bay for $324. I couldn't believe it, I just paid about $550 for a set and found the exact same one's days later for almost half the price. Now I will have an extra set.

Here they are. Excuse the dirty car. I need 3/4" spacers in the front and 1/2" in the rear. What do you think. Damn those tires out back look big!
steeringwheel020.jpg
steeringwheel004.jpg
steeringwheel024.jpg
steeringwheel017.jpg
steeringwheel025.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
man Mike, you're hard-core, putting wheels/tires on in the snow (i'd have done the same thing, lol)
those look like they fit real well.
There are better tire options in 18" than 17".
I wanted to go 295s but couldn't find them in a 17" drag radial.
Ended up getting 315s so looking at rolling the fender lips.

Holy cow thats a lotta snow. You need tracks not tires, although those tires/rims look pretty damn sweeeet. Nice job!

Back