• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need wiring harness advise.

fbproject

I want to go with a 66 five gauge panel in my 65 that had the Falcon sweep style in it. Current underdash harness is in good shape so I will have to make modification on it. Now the question, I have to buy a new engine bay harness, should I get the 65 w/gauge or the 66 ? What is the difference? Are some makers of harnesses better than others? Thank for the help.

The 65 Falcon dash harness and firewall plug configuration are unique, as is the 66 5 gauge and the 65 5 gauge. If you want to stay stock, my normal recommendation is to get the 66 version, as the 65 ammeter isn't reproduced, and finding one that works is hard. I do not recommend modifying the 65 Falcon dash [harness - edited] to the 5 gauge, as you only have one lamp for turn signals, plus a lot of idiot lights that use two lines for signals (alternator, for example) instead of one.

Your best bet for new is a repro from Metal Alloy; if you want OEM refurbished, I have both 65 and 66 underdash harnesses in stock for $175 plus $50 core.

Last winter I took on a 64.5 project and wired in a custom built Autometer 5 guage cluster. I did the exact same thing on my '66 the year before so I expected it to be fairly straighforward. It wasn't.

On the 64.5 it was a royal pain the arse when compared to the '66. I'd use a '66 harness, it'll be a LOT easier!

Back