• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Neutral Safety Switch Harness feed through Firewall

timbeam

It seems to me that I am missing the hole for the Neutral Safety switch harness. Shouldn't it feed through a hole just above the rectangular one for the main harness? Looks like it has a dimple where the hole goes?

My guess is these were not punched out on manual trans cars? (...so the C4 must've come later)

If my assumptions are correct, what is the proper size for this hole?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Attachments

• DSCN1898.JPG
    DSCN1898.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 42
Here is a pic of my firewall (March 65 C code Auto). Hole circled is 3/4" diameter.

index.php

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 47
I don't know how much help this is but here is a drawing out of the Osborn electrical assembly manual. The circled text says "neutral switch..."

index.php

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 50
Yup. Manual transmission firewalls don't have the NSS hole. Instead of going through that hole, the backup lamps go under the carpet to its own hole just forward of the square hole in the tranny hump.

Well the under-hood portion is complete (I ended up replacing all the under-hood wiring as well). The bigger part was removing the AC. Since removing the AC left a hole in the firewall, when I made the cover for it, I put the 3/4" hole for the NS switch in it instead of drilling into the firewall again. Worked out pretty well.

Thanks for all the input!

After Rewire.JPG Firewall Feed.JPG

Back