• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New dash install with mini tach

mmw68

I finally got around to taking apart my dash, cleaning all the gauge faces, and repainting the needles. I picked up this dash kit at a swap meet last year, and also added the mustang project LED. It's been 100+ here in Austin, I need AC in the garage!

BEFORE:
before.jpg

AFTER:

dash_shot3.jpg

dash_shot1.jpg

dash_shot2.jpg

dash_night_leds.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan,

It's a one beer job! It's as easy as taking the old bulbs out, and putting the new bulbs in.

regular_bulb1.jpg

led_bulb1.jpg

led_bulb2.jpg

Here is the supplies I used to clean up the gauges. I picked up the paint and tiny brushes at hobby Lobby. I read some where on VMF that this paint is the actuarial paint that used on the mini-tach. It was a dead on match!

3m.jpg

paint.jpg

painted_needles.jpg

Comparing the new lens to the old.
new_lens.jpg

So the 3M product is what you used to wipe the gauge faces and it won't hurt/smear the white numbering? I sent 2 old SW Greenline gauges out for refurb and the co. that did them said the 'acid wash?' the faces. Just want to make sure this is what you use as I'd like to wipe my gauge faces down when I get to my dash area without ruining the numbering. I'll repaint the needles while I'm in there, thanks for posting the paint too.
Nice Job
Jon

Yes - the 3m remover seemed to work good and not remove the paint. I've also used alcohol. I did not rub hard on the faces, and tried a small area before I did everything.
Before you do anything, always try a small spot before you do the whole thing.

Iam not even sure where I picked that 3m product up, it's just something I had from when I did some prep work on a car we where pin striping a few years ago.

Very nice job. This is very similar to what KMWRS wants to do to his beast this winter.

Back