• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New Project?

Hi all

Since I'm done with my 2-year on & off restoration of my 65 Mustang conv, I've been offered to buy a kit car GT40. Apparently it's been built by a reputable company and its pretty much the closest thing to the real deal. Built on a backdraft chassis.

Car needs some work, fresh paint, interior, etc. I think it's got a 351 Windsor in it, I would probably change that as well.

Anyone done this? There's something in me that's getting me thinking that this would make an awesome resto project, but I'm also worried at the same time that it's gonna give me a headache.
4e20d876dfc70633f932979ca56c6f62.jpg
0d1dc5b6c3ad4423360c6eabf3e43d7c.jpg
6cfa006908224868d4ba912aae578f0a.jpg
75b24609d5264d98350d499aedc8889f.jpg

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

First thing to come to my mind is : Whats the car history. Who made it and whats his reputation. Think it is a 350 .....no...you need to be sure what engine and gearbox it is. Such a project needs alot of investigation before you buy it. My 2 eurocent.
BTW I love it too and hope someday to drive it for a few yards.

First thing to come to my mind is : Whats the car history. Who made it and whats his reputation. Think it is a 350 .....no...you need to be sure what engine and gearbox it is. Such a project needs alot of investigation before you buy it. My 2 eurocent.
BTW I love it too and hope someday to drive it for a few yards.
Yes sure i have to find out all this info before making any decisioms. Car is in the workshop that is owned by my friend and who restored my Mustang, but my friend doesn't own the car it's a customer car.

Issue is owner wants around $64K for the car which I feel is a bit steep.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

From those pictures I only see some interior work to do, 64k maybe to high depending on more info.

Seeing those pics ,it looks to me this is NOT a high end kit car. But I can be wrong. i
Who is the manufacturer?

Love the car but 64k...no way. I'm sure for that price you could get a new kit and do what you would be doing anyway to this one.

Agree with what's already been said above, and be extra careful with fibreglass bodies. Check the age and accident history if you can. As we all know paint hides a lot of sins.

Some time ago I found out that an american company makes cobra's in aluminium and I think GT40 too. Their manufactury facilities where located in Poland , I think.
Don't know how I did find them .

Aluminium still has its problems, but I would trust that before fibreglass. Fibreglass is ok, you just need to check it carefully. I go by the moto of I'm gonna put my ass in there...…………….

Kirkham is the company and beside cobra they make daytona coupes in aluminium.
Is in the higher price range.
Brings more value to the car.

My first question is to ask who would do the actual restoration work? If the plan is to hire the same shop that holds it now, what is their hourly rate? If you hire out any large amount of the work you'll be WAY DEEP in costs on a car that may not have anywhere near that value should you need to sell it. I'd do my homework on what a kit GT40 car costs in both finished and raw kit forms. Be an awesome car to build and own but have to be very smart about it. Looking at those few pics I'd be cautious. You can't really see anything that tells you about the quality of what hides under that skin and the craftsmanship behind it. If it was a steal I'd be more prone to leap but that price doesn't seem like that kind of a deal at all. Research!!!

Factory five makes some sweet kit cars, but I don't recall them having a gt40 model.

65k seems pretty steep, but I have nothing to compare it against to be fair.

Back