• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New shop

looking good but I would never use chipboard for anything. I's use marine grade plywood.
Overkill. As long as the OSB is kept from moisture it is very stable and does a good job. Why in the world would you want to pay 5-6 TIMES the cost for a material that is not needed? You realize that is THOUSANDS in additional cost that is completely unwarranted. I think Bill could spend that $4k+ elsewhere much more wisely. Like a lift, compressor, tool chest, tools....

We put advantech on the flooring but no way I would have on the outside. 45 bux as opposed to 17. We are wrapping in tyvek. This is what houses are sheathed with in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That OSB sheathing is more expensive than I thought. I was thinking more like $10-12 a sheet. Been a while. lol

OSB is the industry standard for sheathing buildings. Properly sealed from the elements it will last forever.

Great looking building, but it is getting smaller by the day as it starts being closed in. No doubt you will enjoy having it done and usable.

OSB is the industry standard for sheathing buildings. Properly sealed from the elements it will last forever.

Great looking building, but it is getting smaller by the day as it starts being closed in. No doubt you will enjoy having it done and usable.

I agree with chucklehead on the OSB.

If you guys recall, this started as a pole barn lol. Sheathing and tyvek and vinyl oh my....

We put advantech on the flooring but no way I would have on the outside. 45 bux as opposed to 17. We are wrapping in tyvek. This is what houses are sheathed with in my area.

Shoot I used OSB on the outside and inside of my shop. By the time you figure finishing of the drywall costs it was just as cheap to use the OSB, paint it and your fine. Bonus is you can hang things basically anywhere unless it's real heavy. Then you still need to find a stud.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I found out the other day that apparently a LOT of mobile homes are sheathed with 3/8" styrofoam that has been coated with a thin tar-like susbstance. So apparently the OSB I also used to sheath my garage is massive overkill. :) I'm happy I built it some years ago. I got into another project recently and about every time I go to get more supplies how much the prices have risen about floors me. Most recently nine freaking dollars for a modestly sized box of deck screws. Basically a big handful. Gads.

I found out the other day that apparently a LOT of mobile homes are sheathed with 3/8" styrofoam that has been coated with a thin tar-like susbstance. So apparently the OSB I also used to sheath my garage is massive overkill. :) I'm happy I built it some years ago. I got into another project recently and about every time I go to get more supplies how much the prices have risen about floors me. Most recently nine freaking dollars for a modestly sized box of deck screws. Basically a big handful. Gads.

No kidding on cost. My whole structure is screwed together with 3000 lb shear 3 inch screws. 86 bux for 25 lbs. I think we are on our 4 box...

I build once for longer than life. OSB is garbage in my mind.
That's just plain wrong. Everything has it's purpose and place and if used within the confines of its design stuff can be extremely durable. In the case of OSB it can last a LIFETIME if used in accordance to this rule. Prolonged exposure to moisture is about its only weakness compared to "regular" plywood.

I build once for longer than life. OSB is garbage in my mind.

All due respect Steve, but even marine grade plywood will not last much longer than OSB if constantly exposed to water. Marine plywood has it's place, but for sheeting a building it is extreme overkill and unnecessary.

Meant to post these Friday and forgot. They got he roof all done. Shouldn’t be long now.
d7d62ea96648801b96200726a5d2d78c.jpg
9a307621134581e093ac2cfba2d785f3.jpg
6fc36c0129861046fe2e942fca52564b.jpg

Back