• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New Starter

65fast

I am need a new starter and figure I might as well upgrade to a mini. It looks like switch to a starter from a 5.0 might be the best route, but I still have a few questions.

Will this work with my current 157T fly and Mcleod Scattersheild?

I am going to be putting in a 6 speed soon, so thinking outloud, I think a starter from a 5.0 should still work since I will still be using a 157T fly and SB Bellhousing.

Anyone else on here using a 5.0 starter? Should I just got with a PGMR from powermaster?

Thanks!

I don't have first hand experience with 5.0 mini starters, but when I purchased my mini starter from http://www.pa-performance.com/Scripts/default.asp, the tech guy said the only difference is the depth the starter drive gear extends into the bell housing. I purchased a starter for my original stock c4 automatic trans setup, which also works fine with my new T5 manual trans and McLeod scattershield. However, the tech guy said that a manual trans starter won't work on an automatic trans; something to do with starter drive gear engagement depth.

Give one of the started companies (PA Performance, PowerMasters, etc) a call. I bet they can sort out the differences.

You'll love your new mini starter. It's smaller, lighter, performs better and if you want, you can even completely ditch the fender apron solenoid.

I have a 5.0 mini starter on mine. I picked it up at Pep Boys for around $100. Amazingly smaller and a lot lighter. I want to say I asked for a '93 for some reason. There was an article in MM or one of those, I'll see if I can dig it up. The first one I had sat around for about 3 years while the car was in paint jail and being put back together and the seals dry rotted, got a new one with lifetime warranty the second time....

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=774898

As long as it is for a manual trans, it should work. The 157t vs 164t shouldn't matter. The tooth pitch is the same on both flywheels, but the larger diameter flywheel needs more teeth. Essentially it pushes the starter further out on the bellhousing in the 164t.

Great, thanks for the info. I searched on the other forum and saw some mini-starter threads you guys had responded to and came across the Mustang Monthly article you mentioned. I am going to try and get one on order this week.

I went and ordered one from PA performance and they had a free ground shipping offer going on for the starter. Hope to get it in the next few weekends.

Thanks again.

I got the starter installed today and it works great. Instructions from the PA performance kit were crystal clear. FWIW, it's about 30-45min to do the swap.

Back