• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New toy!

"Starfury" said:
Not too shabby. I'm in CA though, where that car isn't worth quite as much. Anything post-'75 and you can't really do much to the rather wheezy motor due to smog regs. What are they, something like 180hp?

If memory serves they were 185 hp out of the factory.

The motor in it is original from what the guy said. I don't hear any strange knocks, etc and it doesn't appear to burn oil. We started it up from cold yesterday and no smoke on start up and after it had been running for a while still no smoke. For now I plan to give it a tune up / oil change and go from there.

I think the motor has a few years / miles on it though so I am sure at some point a few years down the road I'll either need or want to have it gone through. When that day comes I plan to do a few performance upgrades...in Texas if they are over 25 years old you have to pass a basic safety inspection (i.e. does it roll under it's own power and stop with all the lights / horn working..) and that's it.

Great looking car. I think the rear seal is rope type...probably need to pull the engine.

Also suggest replacing the coolant. One of those things most people never change.

Congrats, it looks like a super-clean car. Did the PO throw in the optional leisure suit, platform shoes, and gold chains? :thu

"KBMWRS" said:
Great looking car. I think the rear seal is rope type...probably need to pull the engine.

Also suggest replacing the coolant. One of those things most people never change.

Far as I can tell nothing is leaking on the motor. Good point re: the coolant, hadn't thought about that one. May drain and refill the transmission also here pretty soon. It was rebuilt a while back and I am sure it doesn't have anywhere near 30k miles since but couldn't hurt. Haven't had a chance to pull the dipstick and look at the fluid so I'll leave that in the to be determined category for now...

The rear end / differential looks like it could use re-sealing at some point though.

LOL @ Del!

"70_Fastback" said:
Watch it bub! I 'got's' a GMC also... :char

You should try owning a PT Cruiser in this crowd...even though I rarely if ever drive it because it's the wife's car. :hide

Re: the TA...I made a trip to the auto parts at lunch. Picked up five quarts oil, oil filter, plugs, wires, cap / rotor and a couple things of coolant. I am ready to flush most of the fluids and give it a tune up.

"KBMWRS" said:
Gots me a little Fiero GT...fun little car :pbj

Those cars handle like crazy which makes them fun to drive. When I was living in the dorms in college I roomed with one guy that owned one and there was a mutual friend of ours that lived across the way that also had one.

What I didn't like is they both had standard transmission cars and they seemed like they are a pita to shift. On a number of occasions I had to drive one of my two friends home in their car due to :beer and I never could get the darn cars to go into gear. So I would push in the clutch and tell them, "ok shift", LOL!

I discovered something though about the Trans Am that I need to research some more. I started thinking last night that I had never seen a Trans Am with the radio antenna on the driver's side front fender. I had a closer look at it last night and it's a power antenna....it doesn't work but, LOL! At first I thought some joker through the years had a hole saw and stole the antenna off some other car. However, I did some research and read something that would lead me to believe this may have been a rare option...need to research is some more but that would be cool if the car had a rare option because where there is one rare option....I may find more.

"KBMWRS" said:
You mean it doesn't have the famed GM antenna in the front window?

Nope.

The antenna is going to be a pita to get to though. I found a replacement to replace the whole assembly but from what I could tell last night you pretty much have to take the fender off to get access to it.

One thing I ordered last night was the shop manual for the car...I don't know if I'll like it on CD and would rather have the actual book though like I have for the Mustang :roll

"AzPete" said:
I think you can pull the inner fender well to get to the antenna......

Probably something along those lines. I had just a couple of minutes to look at it last night before I got distracted with other things.

On the plus, I just sold some Mustang parts that were left over that I don't need on ebay and the proceeds are pretty much the exact amount I need for the new antenna. Now I need to look into finding a replacement motor for the passenger's side power window that is inop....

Like I said, lots of little things....

"sigtauenus" said:
Like I said, and so it begins...

Yeah...hard as we try to resist you're probably right. At least it keeps me out of trouble.... :roll

Right now though I am not planning any major improvements...just fixing little things that don't work and other maintenance type of issues will keep me busy for a while.

On the plus...I am missing one wheel center cap. NPD wants pretty much $70 by the time you buy the center itself and the emblem that goes on the end of the center. I spotted a single one on ebay and right now the bid is a whopping $14. The down side is there's several days left till the auction ends so we'll see.

"monkeystash" said:
Let see some more pics of that BadMoFo!

Ironically....the one above is the only one I've taken so far. I was busy with errands yesterday at lunch and had a work diner thing last night and didn't get home till after dark. Today I have Aikido after work...

I am off tomorrow because the wife has a minor outpatient type deal in the morning. I am playing nurse some tomorrow when we get home but she is likely to take a long nap when we get home. I'll get the TA out of the garage and take some pictures since it should be a nice day. I was planning to do a few things to it tomorrow anyway. At some point I want to take both cars over to the high school (has a large parking lot and is maybe 5 minutes away) and get a decent picture of the Mustang and the TA together. I may be able to do it in the drive way if I arrange them just right.

Thanks for the link Pete...I'll check it out.

Been busy with a few things...most of yesterday was playing nurse.

However, last night I did get the radiator drained, new hoses on and refilled. Also gave the overflow tank a very overdue cleaning. Today I changed the oil and pulled the air cleaner out to sand off some light surface rust on the inside and repaint. Needless to say it hasn't made it out of the garage yet but here's a fast snap shot of the interior. Few minor cosmetic issues here and there but pretty decent looking all things considered.

Back