• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Isn't this enough for shock tower re-enforcement?
IMG_6066.jpg

I also pushed the "whatever it's called" back in with this portapower and welded the entire seam. I think that should be enough for my application?
IMG_5971.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, part of the Mustang + kit is shock tower reinforcement components, however they do not show them in the article. If you look at the picture of the parts there seems to be some that would be used for the towers.

Dne',

Is that a reinforcement plate or just a welded up crack?

You appear to have some good welding skills, but do you understand that this area of the car (shock towers) is w/o question the weakest link on the unibody design? Sub-frame connectors usually address the second weakest link....

When you applied the porta-power to close that gap, are you sure you didn't also spread the towers? They'll flex very easily... usually just under the load of the weight of the car.... a porta power could easily push those towers out of spec. For shits and giggles, try aligning an export brace to the cowl lip holes and and the towers mount points to see how well the brace lines up. If it doesn't line up, you'll know that the towers have spread.

Your welds look great! But a repaired weak link is still a weak link. The shock tower reinforcement kit is of similar design to what was done to the Boss cars for TransAm racing. The bracing all but eliminates any front-end flex. Just something to consider.

IIRC, part of the Mustang + kit is shock tower reinforcement components, however they do not show them in the article. If you look at the picture of the parts there seems to be some that would be used for the towers.

Yep, I agree. The linked M+ kit is an overall chassis strengthening kit. I was just referring to the shock tower kit. Same thoughts, different kit.

Re: Welded in radiator support

"Midlife" said:
"Sportbikechick" said:
I told you I'd do this part today! I also welded in the strut channels! Really wasn't so bad! My mig welder is excellent! Tomorrow I'll shoot epoxy primer on the work that I did. I'm worn out! lol to the showers my friends(just me, not you!)

I think you'll find yourself in need of a deep back massage when you're done with the shower. I'll be a-waiting your call. :dance
Stand down Fido. ~be

Good work Dne'. Yes Dave, this Girl has some serious welding skilz.

I installed the export brace (a brand new one) before I began pushing the towers back to where they belong. After the pushing, welding, the braces where unchanged and easily removed, so no noticable spreading of the towers happened. Dave, the plate was a re-enforcement brace, no cracks were anywhere to be found. Honestly, this is as good as it's going go get on this car.
My husband gave me the go ahead to order a racknpinion steering, just fixing to begin shopping for the unit. I like the looks of the one on Ebay which includes the column, but I haven't given it much thought yet.
Welding is like sewing, and I'm good at sewing too! lol
dne'

before pushing it back to where it belongs:
IMG_5925.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dne',

All sounds good to me then! Smart move using the export brace on the towers while spreading 'em. It's a rookie mistake to not be careful when working with the shock towers. I think I need to move you out of the rookie catagory when typing to you.

Dave, I'm going to take that as a compliment for sure!! :notworthy: I've worked with mechanical things since I was very young! When growing up with 3 brothers, I did whatever they did, and that was working on lawnmowers, go carts, mini bikes, old klunkers(cars) or anything with 2-4 wheels! I guess that's why I like early model vehicles~ cause I can work on 'em!!
thanks,
dne'

"daveSanborn" said:
Dne',

All sounds good to me then! Smart move using the export brace on the towers while spreading 'em. It's a rookie mistake to not be careful when working with the shock towers. I think I need to move you out of the rookie catagory when typing to you.

Back