• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Not using the seat pan at all?

mmw68

I have been reading lot's of threads tonight about seats, procar, flo-fit, TMI, ETC....

What about installing seats and not using a set pan at all? Has anyone done this? Pros - cons?

Thanks -Mark

You will not have the structural stability needed unless you find some way to enhance the floor pan to support the stress of the car twisting and such.

Good Point... I was looking at these and that is where I got the idea.

jzp-450-010-09_w.jpg

Not using the seat pan at all?

You could run the under floor 'vert bracing, and/or build your own with some square tubing. You need something more secure to bolt the seat to, than just the thin floor. In an accident the whole seat might rip out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For us tall people, it might be cool to delete the floor pans and put in a new frame connecting the front frame rails to the rear frame rails. Maybe with some sort of laddering. then you could put some sort of mounting on the frame to connect the seats to.

You could theoretically use any seat that physically fit. Power would be doable too.

If done correctly it could make the car much tighter.

I'm not going to lie, I have thought about this many times for the 65/66 cars I have owned. the 67 seems to have more room.

Mel

Falcons have just a single sheet of metal to bolt the seat too, no seat pan. They do have square bracing under the floor pan instead of on top like the Mustang so I don't see why it wouldn't work. I put Mustang seats in my 64 Falcon.

"guruatbol" said:
For us tall people, it might be cool to delete the floor pans and put in a new frame connecting the front frame rails to the rear frame rails. Maybe with some sort of laddering. then you could put some sort of mounting on the frame to connect the seats to.
ummm...aren't you basically describing subframe connectors? You still need to have lateral integrity which the current pan/floor provides. Anyway you go, it's still probably the least work to simply cut and lower the pan.

Back