• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Only one brake light

66gt350

On the wife's 65, she only has one brake light, the right. Both blinkers work correctly, and she can get both the brake lights to work if she holds up slightly on the turn signal lever. I'm assuming that the turn signal mechanism is DOA. Typically, is this something that can be repaired, or should I just break down and get her a new turn signal wiring harness.

thanks

Before buying a new turn signal switch, try rotating the plug on the inoperable tail light with the brake depressed...reproduction plugs are pretty bad for making contact. Ask me how I know!

Midlife -- I forgot to mention, that was my first thought was a bad plug at the housing. So, I went back to wiggle it. It looks like the socket has been replaced with one that is hard wired into the wiring harness.

"66gt350" said:
Both blinkers work correctly, and she can get both the brake lights to work if she holds up slightly on the turn signal lever.

thanks

This tells me the switch is bad.......

Back