• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

"Other Brands"

I grew up in a GM family, discovered Mopars in grade school, and moved on to Mustangs in middle school. You could probably guess that I pretty much don't care what it is, so long as its old and cool or funky.

As for newer cars, most Fords don't do anything for me, and I have an irrational hatred for euro cars....I'd like to have a VW TDI, BMW M5, Lambo, Mercedes etc., but they need to figure out 12Vdc first. Random electrical problems do not interest me.

I guess I'm still a GM guy at heart (I want a CTS-V coupe, bad), but after driving Nissans since 2003, I'll take one of those too...those people can make some indestructible cars, no real rattles after 190k miles, interiors are high quality, what's not to like?

Plus, I was taught to love diesels from age 2. If it rolls coal, I probably want to drive it. I'd like to have a VW TDI, Duramax, or a pulling tractor.

The only dirty words in my house are "Cummins diesel" and "new dodge". As far as I'm concerned, dodge only made about half a dozen cars worth buying after 1974 or so.

I'm still pissed at my dad...he sold a Stage1 455 and his Nova SS when I was little. That 455 would have looked so nice in a Buick GSX clone. :$$$

I like pretty much all muscle cars. Hell, I like most performance-built cars, old or new.

That said, I'd be a mopar guy if I had the money. They may not have been built quite as well, but I love some of the mopar styling. One day I'd like to have a big block '63 B body car.

I could very easily have this Ferrari Daytona in my garage........if I had way more money than I do, oh...and single.

Seb2009-Fer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s a great question Steve. I love Mustangs over anything else. Not that they are the greatest car but I just love them. I have loved them since as long as I can remember. I have favoritism for Fords but I like a lot of things. My Favorite vehicles have always been Mustangs and 4x4 trucks. I’ve had a few Jeeps, a Dodge truck and a Chevy truck. I have had 4 Rangers, a Bronco II, two 79 F250’s and I currently own an 01 F150. I’ve had 4 T-birds, E150 Ford van, an 89 SHO, 72 Torino, 70 Cyclone GT and countless Mustangs (the newest being an 85 GT). My 1st car was a 67 Mustang and most of the Stangs I’ve owned have been 67/68’s but I did have a 73 and an 80 4 banger. I also like Pontiac’s. I have had a 65 LeMans vert, Gran Prix GT and a Ventura (Nova). I have had a few Chevy’s too. I had 1980 Monza Spyder and an 82 Corvette. I’ve had two Olds Cutlass’s also.
As far as foreign cars go, I never bought into the idea they were better. I grew up working on cars and I have worked on American made and Japanese cars. Mopars I admit were low quality and a lot of GM stuff just didn’t get the bugs out before they went to market (Corvair, Vega, Feiro, Citation, etc.) but Japenese weren’t better. I had to rebuild a Honda Civic engine. It had color coded pistons and rods because they were machined under and/or over size within the same block/crank. When I ordered parts I had to get various piston and ring sizes and crank bearings (no Joke). I couldn’t believe this was from the cars Americans were brain washed into believing were so much better. I rebuild a Subaru Brat engine. It was like a motorcycle engine, this was back in the 80’s and they still use the same design. Basically a water cooled VW bug engine. Not that it was a bad design but again I was not impressed with it’s durability. Anyway I grew with my dad being a working man and I too worked for Caterpillar for a while and was a UAW member. I can’t say I’m pro-union but it killed me these guys complained about CAT sending jobs out of the country and drove Japanese cars! I’m not saying Japan’s cars are junk but they have made crap too. American cars were getting pretty bad I admit also but just can’t bring myself to own one even if it’s out together in the US. I know a lot crap in the US cars are the same stuff and all our TV’s, phones, etc are Japanese but when I have a choice and I can find an American made part, item or whatever I buy American even if it costs a little more. I know a lot euro cars are cool but out of my price range. (okay off my soap box). Bottom line I love cars and if I had money I would own a little of everything, including old tractors and trucks. I’m a gearhead!!!

For old stuff, I'm a Ford guy, but appreciate a lot of different cars. I'll admit that I've thought about doing an off brand project over the years, but somehow the project car that ends up in my garage has been a Mustang. I haven't been without a Mustang for 32 years. I agree with another poster's view on not much in the current Ford lineup to get my interest. If I were to buy a new truck, it would be a Ford, but that's about all they got for me other than a new Mustang. I've driven BMW's since 1987 and it's really hard to leave them. Even an old BMW sedan gives me more driving pleasure than much of the current offerings from here or Japanese manufacturers. And I'll toss in the Korean guy's too 'cause I've had them as rentals along with the domestic and Japanese cars. They just got no driver's soul, and I don't want to drive a comfy couch car. I need it tight and precise, thank you.

I am a die hard Ford lover. I like other American iron, I just choose not to own one. I have however owned 2 non-Ford vehicles, 1977 Kawasaki KZ400 when I was in the military and a 1987 suburban. At the time the biggest SUV that Ford offered was an Exploder. I now own a 1967 Mustang, 2007 Mustang, 2002 F150 and a 1996 Aerostar. BUT I am soon going to be in the market for some kind of beater. My daughter is 16 and a junior in high school and will need a car soon. My parents bought me a Mustang when I was 15, it needed a lot of work, and the SWMBO did not get anything from her parents. So I want to get her a car and the SWMBO wants her to earn it. :dh I know that I am not going to find a Ford for $1000, so I have looked at toyotas and nissians. I would find it too difficult to own a car with an acronym that means killed in action. :scar The problem that I foresee is that the beater is going to need work, and I do not see my daughter getting her fingernails dirty. :eek:mg So I will be doing the work on it that I am able to do. :cry Maybe I can find her a POS 4 cyl Mustang. :ecit fd

Steve, this is a great thread. I grew up in a long line of all gm's. Being a defiant youth, i always wanted a ford. The mustang was "the" car for me, but my first car purchase was a ford escourt when i turned 16. I worked odd jobs, delivered papers, and saved every penny since i was 14 to buy a car. My parents wouldn't allow me to put a mustang on their insurance, so we compromised on an escourt. :wtf. It was a great car, and i drove that thing into the ground. When i turned 18 (1998) i got rid of it on a trade in for a '93 GT which i had kept until earlier this year (still regret that decision.) The only new car i ever purchased, was my '03 vert, and it just clocked 10K this summer. Do say its a garage queen is a huge understatement. To me a "mustang" is just my car of choice, but i consider myself a car guy period. Pretty much anything that someone puts some pride into, i can understand, even the occasional ricer.

Since 98, i've owned myself, or with my wife, 7 mustangs. It helps having a understanding wife. We were in high school together, but never really new each other, until i met her on the street in her 86 convertible. She has the mustang bug too, which is really awesome. The stangs ive had:

'93 GT (sold this year)
'86 LX Vert
'88 LX (Purchased to teach the wife how to drive a stick, Wouldn't let her learn on the GT. :rofl)
'95 GT
'97 LX (sold this year)
'03 Vert (current)
'67 (current)

Both of our daily drivers now are GM's and thats fine with me. Pretty much purchased because of the deal and not the vehicle. Even though the mustang is my car of choice, the dream car, would be a '69 Dodge Super Bee Metallic Blue, 383 Mag, Manual, like this one.

69%20Dodge%20Super%20Bee-098smj.jpg
69%20Dodge%20Super%20Bee-093smj.jpg

Over the years I have had many cars.Three years ago when I sold my Pantera to buy a 71 Porsche 911 I had my three favorite cars.
1971 Porsche 911
1967 Alfa GTV
1966 GT K FB

This past year business has sucked and I sold the 911 so now I am down to two.
I know this may not go over big here but if I have to sell another it will probably be the K mostly because it is worth more.
It's really close but there is something about that Alfa.
Maybe that would all change if I could actually drive the Mustang.

Oh by the way I also have a 1964 Econoline that is Hilarious.Love it.

"Fast68back" said:
Have you ever regretted selling the Pantera? I think that would be a sweet car to own..

Only a little. I am 6'1" 270 had to get on all fours and crawl into it.Then once your in the whole driving position was a little uncomfortable.The pedals are offcenter due to the front wheel and you need small feet to work the pedals.It's also hot.Also my car was a 74 with the GT5 treatment,I really prefer an original stock one.Also sitting in that car I really felt like I was sitting in my coffin.I live in New York not many open roads.
But that being said, the music those cars make is orgasmic .They are really cool

The new owner painted it,added a wing and some other goodies.
Here's a pic of it now
p4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides my 66, that's the other car I'd really like to have.

Back