• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

painting bullitt rims

todd65289

I'm going to paint my 2002 bullitt rims satin black would it be ok to just rough them up and spray with a can or do i need to prime and spray with a gunany suggestion greatly appreciated. :shrug

First , I wouldn't do that!

If I would do this , use a grade 240 or higher sanding paper so you don't have any "rubbing marks" after the paintjob.
I would bring them to a body shop for paint because paint with hardener and thinner is much stronger and last longer against the road elements.
Paint from a spraycan isn't strong structual wise.
IMHO.

"B67FSTB" said:
First , I wouldn't do that!

If I would do this , use a grade 240 or higher sanding paper so you don't have any "rubbing marks" after the paintjob.
I would bring them to a body shop for paint because paint with hardener and thinner is much stronger and last longer against the road elements.
Paint from a spraycan isn't strong structual wise.
IMHO.

Agreed. Rattle can paint will not hold up very long in those conditions.

For a quickie, cheap style change, I painted my Cragar centers black with Krylon 1613, after just cleaning the rims really well. I did not use sandpaper in case I wanted to go back to the all-chrome. However, as previous posters have alluded, the finish is not on very well and can rub off when using a lug socket.

Powder coating would be a good way to go if you are doing the entire wheel, if there is some chrome on them you would be better of with a 2 part paint, it would last a lot longer. Rich.

I've painted 2 sets of wheels with rattle can paint and have had no issues. I painted a set of 15X7 American Racing Torq-Thrust D's and the paint was still good 10 years later when I sold them a bought some American Racing CL-205's which I promptly painted.

As for painting them, I just cleaned them with a degreaser, primed them (rattle can) and painted them with an enamel spray paint. I considered using a high temperature paint, like an engine enamel, but I sprayed my original AR Torq-Thrust D's in a similar fashion over 14 years ago and they have held up fine.

p1010356a.jpg

P1010353a.jpg

I went with the American Racing CL-205's - when they showed up they were a little too grey for my liking,
so I taped them off and sprayed the spokes satin black.

I, also, got Falken Azenis RT-615's - 225/45/17 front and 245/45/17 rear.
http://www.falkentire.com/main.htm

GreyCenters.jpg

Painted.jpg

The new 17" X 8" CL-205's with 225/45/17's next to the old 15" X 7" Torq-Thrust D's with 225/50/15's

OldVsNew225.jpg

"Tims65" said:
I've painted 2 sets of wheels with rattle can paint and have had no issues. I painted a set of 15X7 American Racing Torq-Thrust D's and the paint was still good 10 years later when I sold them a bought some American Racing CL-205's which I promptly painted.

As for painting them, I just cleaned them with a degreaser, primed them (rattle can) and painted them with an enamel spray paint. I considered using a high temperature paint, like an engine enamel, but I sprayed my original AR Torq-Thrust D's in a similar fashion over 14 years ago and they have held up fine.

Just curious, what backspacing did you go with on the CL-205's?

Back