• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Palomino Wheel

mrgem

After waiting 6 months on backorder, the 65 palomino wheel I ordered from Dallas Mustang finally arrived. After opening the box, it wasn't quite what I expected.

My recollection of original palomino steering wheels was that they were a rusty light reddish-brown whose color was molded into the plastic. They were, as I recall -- very similar to the color of, well, a palomino horse.

What I got instead was a medium-chocolate brown wheel -- that was painted -- not with cast-in color. The paint had a fine metalflake to it -- which made it look more like a dark gold instead of a rusty light brown.

Now, I have to admit I did not order this wheel for a Mustang. I ordered it for my 65 Cyclone, whose factory wheel used the same mold as early Mustangs but had cast-in coloring that was unique to Cyclones and Falcon Sprints. The palomino coloring (that I recalled) would have been as close to the factory color as anything else available (repro Cyclone/Sprint wheels were discontinued several years ago).

So...my question is is this "dark metallic gold painted" wheel an accurate reproduction of the factory Palomino wheel, or is this a low-dollar reproduction that approximates the factory wheel -- by using paint, rather than molded-in color?

This repro wheel is far prettier than my original Cyclone wheel, but I was expecting cast in color that was closer to a "burnt sienna" then a dark gold.

Back