• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Parking in the paint section for a while!

Dne'

I guess I'll park here in the paint section for a while! I'd been away for a little bit since the hurricane kind of put everything on hold. I finally got back to priming a few pieces today. Felt good to get something done! :pep Gee I have a long way to go!
Brought home late Feb. 08:
IMG_5630.jpg

This was a while back.
IMG_5979.jpg

This is one of my favorite photos :dance The contrast of the radiator support to the gray looks kind of neat.
IMG_6397.jpg

Today, 8-3-08, I put Epoxy on the engine compartment, stripped the decklid of the old paint, primed it, and primed a few small things. I like primer, it doesn't show the defects!
IMG_6778.jpg

I have so much body work that it's kind of overwhelming, but I'm not giving up! After I've put all the Epoxy on, I guess I'll start on the more intense body work. That's where I'll need some advice for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:
It took me 2.5 years what it has taken you 7 months. Good job!

:rof I'm hoping to paint the engine compartment this week, then I can start putting some "things" in the engine compartment(brake lines, gas lines, etc., ). I had a taste of block sanding on the deck lid today. I ran out of time and will shoot primer on it again tomorrow. I"m not exactly sure if I'm doing the most efficient way, but I suppose if it's straight, I've accomplished what I was supposed to do.
I had striped the old paint(just on the sunny side), shot a coat of epoxy. Today, found a lot of low spots, filled them and blocked it out. Went through the epoxy due to high spots, but tomorrow I'll epoxy it again.
I'm not sure when to use the other primer I bought, the high fill primer from Braults? I did work on the left front fender too. So both these will be primed again tomorrow.
dne'

I'm a stay at home wife, but always doing something with the kids, babysitting my 7 month old grandbaby :binkybaby:, and my husband is always wanting to go somewhere, and since he's 'retired' he bugs the hell out of me and I can't get anything done! :doh, whereas most of the people here, more than likely work~So my hats off to you all that work a full time job and still get alot done on his/her stang! :notworthy:

Try being a single Dad with full custody of my 3 year old son, working full time and still trying to do the mustang. It's tough. But very rewarding too.

"70_Fastback" said:
Try being a single Dad with full custody of my 3 year old son, working full time and still trying to do the mustang. It's tough. But very rewarding too.

I'm right there with ya Jeremy, I've had custody of my son since he was 3, he just turned 10 this year.

I have so much body work that it's kind of overwhelming

Famous last words. Just about every Mustang I've owned was purchased from someone who felt the same way, because I've taken up where they left off.... which was usually right after stripping the car and losing half the parts.

The best advice I can give you is to focus on one small area at a time. Get this small area to 99% perfect and then move on to the next small area. Before you know it, the whole car will be 99% and you'll be doing a final block sanding. If you stand back and look at all of the "small areas"/work ahead of you it can be very overwhelming and the motivation can easily go right down the tubes... don't do it, stay focused on each small area.

"daveSanborn" said:
I had a taste of block sanding on the deck lid today.

Try using a "long board" on the large flat areas. IMO, it'll produce better results/less chance of having any waves.

A long "DuraBlock" all the way. Ask for it by name at your autobody store. The longer the better.

A long "DuraBlock" all the way. Ask for it by name at your autobody store. The longer the better.

That's what all the guys say. :rof

Nice picture Dave(nice to see you without that gash on your face! Gosh that young lady is very sexy! Makes me want to go out and get my hair done! :pep Nah :rof

Well, I had a pretty decent day! It's almost about 90% epoxy primed! Looks really neat(from far away!). I try to look at it as in smaller parts, but I get working on one thing, then I go to another thing while one thing is drying! :doh I sometimes wish I just had gone a bought new doors and fenders! sure would have saved a lot of work! I do have the Durablock set, and a variety of paper.

I was going to ask Randy, but anyone can help here:
Let's take my roof. It is horrible! I'm sorry to say but I left a little rust on it, and used a rust converter, then encapsulator, then epoxy primer today. I'll shoot another coat of epoxy next time. But, I have this high fiiller primer that I bought. When do I use this stuff? Can I shoot a few coats on the roof, over the epoxy, the sand it down to where all the bad things will disappear?, then keep doing this over and over again until it's as good as I can get it?????

I'm heading to the shower now, I really stink! :rof

IMG_6791.jpg

IMG_6793.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is exactly how to use high build primer. Epoxy primer should be your base, then any mud to get things close, then high build primer. Use a cheap rattle can over that, and sand. If you find low spots, remove the rattle can paint and apply high build primer again. When the rattle can paint completely comes off all at the same depth (no high or low spots), you're done. Seal it again (epoxy primer works well), then you're ready for base/clear coat.

Say goodbye to your fingerprints after sanding, and enjoy!

Damn girl!

Your gettin busy!

You are headed in the right direction with the right plan. You listen well ~thu

I gotta get some work done on the Boss this weekend, but I see a spot check of
your progress in the near future.

Keep up the good work :notworthy:

what to use for low spots?

Thank ya'll so much for the info and the vote of confidence! One more question please~, when I do find a low spot, do I just use filler(bondo)(that's what I've been using)? Is there something a little easier to use?

Depends on the spot.

Some may be sanded out with more sanding, some may need more filler primer, some may need filler/glazing.

How's that for an answer?

:danceI'd say this was an excellent answer!! :notworthy:
"Sluggo" said:
Depends on the spot.

Some may be sanded out with more sanding, some may need more filler primer, some may need filler/glazing.

How's that for an answer?

Back