• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

parking/tail lights.......

lleno

Hey now, I've been wanting to find out if I can brighten my parking/tail/brake lights. I really do not like the LED's. Is there a way to get a brighter bulb in the circuit?? I seem to recall hearing a stronger bulb will melt the plastic covers.....Any ideas???

One easy fix is to remove the taillight housing and refurbish the interior with a more reflective surface to help reflect/redirect lamp lumens outward. New lenses may be in order too if your old ones are cloudy & hazey.

Similar to installing a headlight relay, I suppose you could install a taillight relay. This would allow you to use the same bulb, but it would illuminate a little bit brighter as it's not losing any voltage through the old taillight harness.

VHT has a paint that is almost a chrome finish, called Plate Finish. Google "vht chrome paint". I used it on Shag's rear tail light housing just for this reason.

In previous applications, I always found a pure white, or egg shell white as the painter called it, worked better than silver/chrome. There is not much in the reflection ability of paint. My painter said the bright white did better at lightening the background and when compared, it did. Sorry, no pics of the comparing as it was a long time back.

"AzPete" said:
In previous applications, I always found a pure white, or egg shell white as the painter called it, worked better than silver/chrome. There is not much in the reflection ability of paint. My painter said the bright white did better at lightening the background and when compared, it did. Sorry, no pics of the comparing as it was a long time back.

The reflectivity is not what makes it appear brighter; it's the surface illuminance which does. Thus you are still correct about the white "appearing" brighter.

"70_Fastback" said:
The reflectivity is not what makes it appear brighter; it's the surface illuminance which does. Thus you are still correct about the white "appearing" brighter.
Welllllll, I never.......no, really, just keeping it in the line you mentioned earlier.....reflectivity, but I do agree with you lol.

Some good Ideas...Is there a way to put a bigger wattage bulb in??IIRC this just isn't really doable??

Back