• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Phase 2 - head swap

I would like to have the trans in by April. My biggest problem is my travel schedule. In a couple weeks I have to go to Australia and then back to Germany. So I have to do as much as I can when I am home. Also on March 29th, 30th and April 1st my wife and I would like to take it to "Ponies in the Smokies" an all Mustang show in Pigeon Forge TN.

Those new heads looks nice, what are you doing with the old boat anchors?
Thanks, the iron heads are D0VE castings which are desirable. They are supposedly some of the better iron heads. I will probably sell them.
IMG_7520.jpg

Last edited:
Also on March 29th, 30th and April 1st my wife and I would like to take it to "Ponies in the Smokies" an all Mustang show in Pigeon Forge TN.
Huh, that's about 4 hours from me and first I've heard of the show. I couldn't drive the Stang but I'll see if we can arrange going to the show- other commitments may get in the way.

Huh, that's about 4 hours from me and first I've heard of the show. I couldn't drive the Stang but I'll see if we can arrange going to the show- other commitments may get in the way.
I might not make it either. Still trying to get this thing back together and my wife keeps adding honey-do list items. We are now putting new carpet in the master bedroom and guest room!!!
I was really looking forward to that show, that's a beautiful area. It's also only 4 hours away from me. Anyway, I leaving town for work again Wednesday and SWMBO has me moving everything out of the two rooms and ripping up carpet and padding. I went and picked up the new stuff this morning.
I did get a couple hours to sneak into the garage and get the headers bolted up. Took me two hours to do one of them! Who's idea was it to put a 429 in here anyway?!?! I also got the intake back on, distributor in and fan & shroud back on.
IMG_7515.jpg IMG_7516.jpg

Stay with it! I struggling with my tilt column right now, I have tore it down completely 4 times now and still can not find out why it is binding.

good luck!
I am close. I will be on the road the rest of the week but hopefully I can get back on it this weekend. SWMBO has a lot for me to do too!

I was able to tinker a bit today. I decided to work on the carb while it was off. This carb is almost 20 years old and runs on E15. It would flood a little, maybe not flood but it would be wet in the intake if it sat over night. So I changed the needle and seats on both bowls. I had also been noticing a slight hesitation and could see the squirter had a bit of a delay. Well, while the bowls were off I found the issue. The accelerator pump cam was worn out!
IMG_7519.jpg

Awesome. Figured it would make a difference. Any noticeable difference in the weight of the nose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. Figured it would make a difference. Any noticeable difference in the weight of the nose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will need to drive it more. I just got it running today and helped CJ change his master cylinder and then hauled some stuff to the dump (old carpet, toilet, vanity, sink, etc.). I wasn't able to really just drive it around. With the water pump, heads and I also have a high torque mini starter, I'm thinking she lost nearly 75 pounds off the nose. It should help.

It's always nice lugging off the old cast iron stuff and dropping in an aluminum replacement that you can pick up with one hand. I have aluminium heads, intake, and water pump, a mini starter, and no power accessories whatsoever. I like to think the weight savings matters.

Yeah I noticed all the accessories were gone and the engine looks kinda naked in there without all of them and the belts an pulleys. More ponies to the wheels. You have electric power steering though don't you?

Yeah I noticed all the accessories were gone and the engine looks kinda naked in there without all of them and the belts an pulleys. More ponies to the wheels. You have electric power steering though don't you?
yes, electric PS. The only accessory on the engine is the alternator.
I know the heads are worth 60 pounds for sure. I haven't weighed the water pump and starter but the starter is huge and very heavy. The water pump is pretty big too so I am guessing another 10 to 15 pounds saved between the two. It's all off the nose of a nose heavy car so it's got to help.

Yes they have terrible weight distribution- my Mach is loaded with accessories and is 59.5% front and 40.5% rear. But I figure most of that is null and void when you plop my butt in the seat. The center of gravity is about 5" in front of the front edge of the seat.

Back