• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Planning a Holiday/Road Trip to the USA(West Coast)

They had the Shelby Hertz, back a few years, no idea about currently.

"silverblueBP" said:
They had the Shelby Hertz, back a few years, no idea about currently.

I couldn't find the Shelby, but Hertz rents through their "Fun Collection" and supposedly guarantee your pick of make, model, and so forth.

"Sacbill" said:
and supposedly guarantee your pick of make, model, and so forth.

I would appreciate a warning the next time you pen a comedic response Bill, I now have to buy a new keyboard.

Ok, the plan has been finalised and all hotels and the Mustang have been booked.

I have decided to cancel the plan to go back via Lake Tahoe and go to Napa. Instead i am going to go over Tioga and come back in south of SF. Spend a night in Half Moon bay then break the journey up to SB with a stop over in Montaray.

I have also cut a day off San Siego and added that day to our time in LV once i realised how far it was to the Grand Canyon.

So here is the new and improved plan with Map.

Day 1 Thurs 2nd Arrive in SF 10:45pm
Day 2 Fri 3rd Tour SF Alcatraz
Day 3 Sat 4th Morning Mustang cruise down coast and lunch with mustang lads.
Evening Tour SF
Day 4 Sun 5th Drive to Lake Tahoe/Highway 395/Stay in Mammoth (6.5 hr, 327m)
Day 5 Mon 6th Yosemite/Redwoods
Day 6 Tue 7th Mammoth/Yosemite
Day 7 Wed 8th Mammoth/Yosemite, Mammoth/Yosemite, Drive back on Tioga Pass (6 hours, 329m)
Day 8 Thurs 9th Drive From Half Moon Bay to Monteray
Day 9 Fri 10th Drive from Monteray down Highway 1 to SB (5 hours, 248m)
Day 10 Sat 11th Santa B
Day 11 Sun 12th Santa B
Day 12 Mon 13th Santa B
Day 13 Tue 14th Drive to LA (2hr, 100m)
Day 14 Wed 15th LA
Day 15 Thurs 16th Drive south to San Diego (2hr, 120m)
Day 16 Fri 17th San Diego
Day 17 Sat 18th San Diego
Day 18 Sun 19th Drive from San Diego to LV (5.5hr, 326m)
Day 19 Mon 20th Las Vegas
Day 20 Tue 21st Grand Canyon
Day 21 Wed 22nd Las Vegas
Day 22 Thurs 23rd Fly to NY at 2:25pm, arrive at 10:29pm
Day 23 Fri 24th Tourist day NY
Day 24 Sat 25th Shopping and big night out
Day 25 Sun 26th Hungover in NY
Day 26 Mon 27th Fly home at 17:40pm

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=San+Francisco,+CA,+United+States&daddr=38.6387,-121.52359+to:38.96216,-119.85305+to:US-395+S%2FThree+Flags+Hwy+to:37.81974,-119.71388+to:37.79757,-121.16602+to:37.82231,-120.6422+to:San+Mateo+Rd+to:Monterey,+CA,+United+States+to:36.00039,-121.50164+to:34.94161,-120.5739+to:34.57201,-120.3708+to:Santa+Barbara,+CA,+United+States+to:Los+Angeles,+CA,+United+States+to:San+Diego,+CA,+United+States+to:Las+Vegas,+NV,+United+States+to:Grand+Canyon+Village,+AZ,+United+States&hl=en&ll=37.369066,-122.200928&spn=0.710503,1.058807&sll=37.770715,-120.684814&sspn=2.826556,4.235229&geocode=FVJmQAIdKAe0-CkhAGkAbZqFgDH_rXbwZxNQSg%3BFWyUTQIderLB-ClnTsIVE9aagDFIbbKA5WeWDw%3BFfCDUgIdBjDb-CnNR2tAFZeZgDEerl7jrJIY4A%3BFbCbPgId5lXp-A%3BFVwVQQIdqE_d-ClrR61-xeWWgDG4CF3LJwPANw%3BFcK-QAIdPCfH-Cl1EQBYz0OQgDGE2mjj54R_Zg%3BFWYfQQIdaCXP-ClxMnr4leWQgDER2WOesVhHsg%3BFZK3OwId2N-z-A%3BFa55LgId7Ai8-CmR-7VwUuSNgDFePUrYCUlI7g%3BFYZSJQIdOAjC-Ck98yUDDpuSgDFh2x90MhmHRw%3BFaoqFQIdNDDQ-CkX2RkKeEHsgDEobNIJX9W-yQ%3BFeqGDwIdkEnT-CmD6AvUuqfugDGlcYuzOAu52Q%3BFV44DQId8ozd-CnVgy1vxxTpgDFIdrrXZDrRyA%3BFYqYBwIdm77z-CkT2ifcXcfCgDH0CEYlb98v4g%3BFUEy8wEdeVIE-SlLHpKtD1PZgDF53xX9_SE6DQ%3BFdYQJwIdMJoi-SnRffWkgre-gDGjebPV5tXMOg%3BFawlJgIdseBQ-Skl4_-VTxczhzGhniKadMLMuA&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=8&via=1,2,4,5,6,9,10,11&t=m&z=10

So I plan to travel very light and tackle my annual clothes shopping event when i arrive in SF(Clothes in the US are way cheaper than here). Without sounding too :homo is there a big mall in/around SF where i can go to stock up? North Face, Carhartt, Gant, Salomon, etc etc

And, i did not get offered the Sat Nav option when i was booking the Mustang online with Hertz. I am guessing that maybe it comes in the car as standard? otherwise i will prob buy a US sat nav on ebay before i arrive.

The mustang from hertz doesn't come with navigation. It's a base model. They do offer it at the counter, but your probably better off just buying one.

"RapidRabbit" said:
The mustang from hertz doesn't come with navigation. It's a base model. They do offer it at the counter, but your probably better off just buying one.

On to eBay with me so. Thanks for the info. I tried to call Hertz but typical big company, almost impossible to talk to an actual person unless it's new business for them.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pd00i4

Hey johnny, if you want to borrow mine, I can ship it over to you and you can send it back when you get home. We rarely use it. The wifes jeep has a built in nav, and I use my phone most of the time now.
I personally don't trust eBay for electronics much.

"RapidRabbit" said:
Hey johnny, if you want to borrow mine, I can ship it over to you and you can send it back when you get home. We rarely use it. The wifes keep has a built in nav, and I use my phone most of the time now.
I personally don't trust eBay for electronics much.

That would be awesome. As long as you can manage without it for 3 weeks in August then that would be great. My GF is heading to Chicago a few weeks before the raod trip so she will have a US address to send it to. I will paypal you over the shipping costs and then i can pop it in the post before i leave NY. :thu

No problem. We don't need it especially in august. That's my busy season at work and I'm not going anywhere.

We may be in Chicago in july visiting my brother too. It's only 3 hours from us. We can work out the details later. and don't worry about the shipping costs. Glad to help out.

Pat

"RapidRabbit" said:
No problem. We don't need it especially in august. That's my busy season at work and I'm not going anywhere.

We may be in Chicago in july visiting my brother too. It's only 3 hours from us. We can work out the details later. and don't worry about the shipping costs. Glad to help out.

Pat

Thanks Pat,
You are a gentleman.

Re: Re: Planning a Holiday/Road Trip to the USA(West Coast)

"Johnny M" said:
Thanks Pat,
You are a gentleman.

I don't know about that, but you can buy me a beer the next time I'm in Ireland.

Re: Re: Planning a Holiday/Road Trip to the USA(West Coast)

"RapidRabbit" said:
I don't know about that, but you can buy me many beers the next time I'm in Ireland.

fixed it.

Sounds like a fun trip. I've got family back in CA, and I've made it back a few times in the last few years to visit. I was prepared to make suggestions on places to visit, but looking at your final itinerary it looks like you hit the high points. Yosemite is one of the busiest parks over the summer, you shouldn't have problems touring it but hotels/campsites could be more difficult to come by. This has probably been brought up, but I didn't want to sift through 5 pages of replies to check.

"Walter" said:
Sounds like a fun trip. I've got family back in CA, and I've made it back a few times in the last few years to visit. I was prepared to make suggestions on places to visit, but looking at your final itinerary it looks like you hit the high points. Yosemite is one of the busiest parks over the summer, you shouldn't have problems touring it but hotels/campsites could be more difficult to come by. This has probably been brought up, but I didn't want to sift through 5 pages of replies to check.

Thanks Walter.
I heard Yosemite will be fairly busy at that time of the year so will be half expecting it. I found this website that gives some great info on hikes and how busy they will get.

http://www.yosemitehikes.com/

I have all hotels booked at this stage and I am lucky that a friend works for the westin hotel chain and he was able hooked me up with some good deals.

We are staying here for 3 nights.
http://www.westinmammoth.com/

Johnny

Hey Frank,
Where the best place to get info on road closures and wildfires?

Less than 3 weeks now. The excitement is starting to build. And we are having a really bad summer here in Ireland so the thought of some warm weather is very appealing.

I am now travelling out a day early to spend some time in Chicago with the GF before we head west. She has been there for the last 7 weeks and she keeps saying how much she wants me to meet her new friends and see a little of "her" Chicago. Obviously, I have not told told her about my change of plan and I am just going to arrive and surprise her. I also accidentally booked a GT Mustang :steer with Hertz Adrenaline collection for the day. It'll be sweet to cruise around in that baby for the day because i am guessing our convertible Stang from hertz for the roadtrip will not be a V8.

The GF has a US cell number which we will be using during our trip. Anyone that needs it, let me know and I will PM it over and I will be contactable on it from the 1st August onwards.

Went to see Paul Simon last night in Dublin. Graceland is officially No.1 on the road trip soundtrack.

"RapidRabbit" said:
What days are you going to be in Chicago?
Do you still want to borrow the Gps?

I will have less than 24 hours in Chicago. I arrive at 16:00 on the 1st then i am gone again at 15:00 on the 2nd. I am not sure what my plan is when i get there. The GF might be having a going away party that night so that will eat up a lot of my time.

And it would be great if we could borrow the GPS if it is still available. Would it be feasible for me to collect it? I will be in the city centre but have wheels.

I'm about 3 hours north of Chicago. If you had more time there I was thinking maybe I would run down and see my brother and we could meet up.

Pm me the address you gf is at and I can send it out quick.

Johnny, you can most likely rent a GPS unit from Hertz along with your car. Pretty much all the rental agencies offer them. That would be a whole lot easier than trying to connect with someone to borrow one during your short visit to the area.

Back