• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Probably a simpleton question, but--no tail lights?

DeadStang

1969 Mustang. It has headlights, brake lights, dash lights, and turn signals...but no running/tail lights? Where do I look? I thought a fuse would take out my dash lights, too, but maybe not?

Running lights are controlled by the headlamp switch, and go directly to the tailight harness. Check your 3 prong shielded black connector on the main harness by the fuse box.

I didn't notice the license lamp--I'll check. Will have to wait for adult reinforcements to check for back up lights... I had my 5-year-old daughter stepping on the brake pedal for me (this was her first "driving" experience!) to check for brake lights when I realized that there were no tail lights.

Everybody back there is fed power from black wire going to to the license light, except the brake lights and reverse lights.

You have brake lights. All the lights share that ground, so your ground is ok.

If your backup lights are also out you probably have that connector Mid referred to disconnected. It should kill the dome/pillar lights too.

My '66 back up bulbs are a double pole, single filament using the second pole as a wired ground. Might check that if they do not work. Wouldn't be the first.

"DeadStang" said:
I didn't notice the license lamp--I'll check. Will have to wait for adult reinforcements to check for back up lights... I had my 5-year-old daughter stepping on the brake pedal for me (this was her first "driving" experience!) to check for brake lights when I realized that there were no tail lights.

That sounds familiar somehow.

If all else fails for reverse lights do what I do. I either drive the car someplace that has a large glass window and back it in to look over my shoulder at the reflection in the window. Or I discovered a while back that if I park my Explorer behind the car I can catch enough reflection there to tell what's working and what isn't for the lights on the back of the Mustang.

Hmmmm....set the brake, turn key on....do not start.....put car in reverse, get out and look at the lights. I know it is difficult to do some things by yourself.....but.....

Brake lights.....lay a brick on the pedal and go look.
:lol :lol :lol

Back