• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Problems after carburetor replacement

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Sta-Bil is a wonder drug for fuel that will sit for a time. It really does keep the gas from gelling and gumming up the carb. I use it in the 66, the generator, the pressure washer and the weed eater. And as everyone will attest...they all sit for really long periods of time.

Terry, they used a pressure regulator in line for the return.

One guy on YouTube and his Fairlane I think used some sort of blockage in the return line to reduce/ regulate the return pressure.

I think it is worth a try.

I do agree with your observations of carbs being dead plumbed forever. Until I say it on one of the car TV shows, I would never have thought it.

Here's one of the links.
watch

I'll definitely let you guys know what comes of it. Thanks to all the responses I have some things to follow up on. Simple stuff first, building in complexity as I go down the rabbit hole.

See now it makes a little more sense, Mel. They are using a return line to create a constant flow system for the fuel to prevent vapor lock. This is to keep from having backed-up fuel sitting for long in a fuel line near the heat of the engine.

Angelo's issue isn't vapor lock based on the way, and when, he describes it happening.

What he described is classic vapor lock when getting off the freeway and slowing will allow the fuel near the pump to vaporize. The boiling point of the new fuel blends are much lower than fuel from the 60s 70s and 80s.

The other symptoms would be that the car will not restart after a warm drive or fuel boiling out of the bowl into the horn and down the intake. Sometimes you can hear it percolating when you park and shut it down.

Though there may be other issues as well this recirculating system will return hot fuel to the tank where it can cool off. Thus lowering your fuel temp which if cool enough will create a small increase in power.

More power and a light right foot will create better MPG.

These increases are small however.

Also will help keep consistent fuel supply during racing such as autocross.

Just a few thoughts.

Mel

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Hey guys. Well I thought I'd follow up to let you know what the problem was. Are you ready? PCV valve! I never in a million years would have suspected it because 1) I didn't think it was a variable in the equation since it hadn't changed, and 2) It was working before the car sat for awhile.

Anyway, after replacing PCV hose, valve and grommet, replacing a few vacuum caps, and getting the carburetor dialed in the car is running better than it has in a long time.

The carb was also running WAY too rich for my setup so the stink and smoke (which I hadn't mentioned before) are also back under control.

Thanks again for the advice you helped pass on. It helped me narrow things down and whoever said "it's a vacuum problem" wins the prize.

Every time I see one of those filters I think of Stephen King..... as in "Firestarter". LOL.

I don't like any rubber hose between the pump and carb. For Edelbrock applications, I recommend Edelbrocks banjo adapter inlet line that's threaded AN on the end for a metal in-line filter. For Holley's, I use the old AC pleated paper filter(s) and spring under the inlet adapter(s) depending on whether single or dual inlet. On Autolites, I recommend a metal filter as used on early '80's 255's and 302's that threads into the carb and is threaded on the other side for a flared line.

720-9747-jpg.28260

8131.jpg

s-l225.jpg

s-l225.jpg

Back