• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Progress

"stump" said:
Thanks. We're waiting on the trans rebuild kit, and hope to have it back on the road by next weekend.

Make sure that when you get the rebuild kit that they sent you the right needle bearings. I rebuilt the T10 out of my 66 and the parts supplier I bought my rebuild kit from sent us a GM T10 rebuild kit. The needle bearings were off by a very small amount, but it caused the shaft to bind when I went to turn it. Must have taken that thing apart and put it back together 20 times trying to figure out where we went wrong.

"68stang289" said:
Make sure that when you get the rebuild kit that they sent you the right needle bearings. I rebuilt the T10 out of my 66 and the parts supplier I bought my rebuild kit from sent us a GM T10 rebuild kit. The needle bearings were off by a very small amount, but it caused the shaft to bind when I went to turn it. Must have taken that thing apart and put it back together 20 times trying to figure out where we went wrong.

Thanks for the heads-up. The kit I ordered was from NPD, out of their "mustang" catalog.

Motor is out and we confirmed the coolant was leaking from one of the rubber freeze plugs. Also, with the motor out we could see where the rear main seal, and oil pan gasket leak. We'll replace the plugs and seals Monday and maybe even get it back in the car. Transmission rebuild is complete, so we have the carb and shifter remaining. Should be back on the road by next weekend...

At least it gives me a chance to repaint.

Transmissionrebuild009.jpg

Transmissionrebuild010.jpg

Transmissionrebuild014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's finally over and she's home!! Put 50 miles on her tonight and no problems.

Finishedagain004.jpg

Finishedagain010.jpg

Finishedagain013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not enough time over the weekend, I could only get in 300 miles. My wife couldn't understand why it took me two hours to get a cup of coffee...

"stump" said:
Not enough time over the weekend, I could only get in 300 miles. My wife couldn't understand why it took me two hours to get a cup of coffee...

It sounds like you're ready for a road trip to New Bern!

Back