• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Re-cleared the Boss

Sluggo

Due to a few flaws and my propensity to color sand beyond the limits of the clear coat, I had to do a little spot work and re-cleared the entire car.

Saved many hours behind the buffer. There's about 6 little pieces of trash that i need to take care of and two small sags. I used a better clear and laid on it this time.

Much happier with the result.

Big Thanks to Rick for making the journey down to assist me with final prep and mixing my media for me. Thanks bro!

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
glad it worked out better this time. so, what grit did you finally decide on to sand it with??

1000, then scuffed with red scotchbrite.

"70_Fastback" said:
AWESOME!

And a new 'yota too?

Have not pulled the trigger on the truck yet. I'm about 90% there. Just need to talk myself into having a payment again.

index.php

Send this picture into the nearest OSHA office as it can be used for a good laugh around their office.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I paint also.... no suit and a cheap cartridge respirator. I'm not brave enough to just use a dust mask though. It's good to wear a ball cap to minimize the "clear in the hair" and to catch any small drops of sweat from dripping onto the car.

I wish I would have known that before I let him hand me a dust mask and told me to come in the booth. Shoulda known when he grabbed the mask off the cleaning lady's cart........sumbitch, I can feel my lungs shrinking as I sit here

a dust mask and told me to come in the booth

I suppose if the booth has a good ventilation system it might not be too bad, but my home-made booth with a couple of box fans and plastic drop clothes is a death-trap without wearing a mask. Even when I just go back in for a second to kill the lights I can feel brain cells rapidly dieing from the carcinogenic fumes.

"Fast68back" said:
I wish I would have known that before I let him hand me a dust mask and told me to come in the booth. Shoulda known when he grabbed the mask off the cleaning lady's cart........sumbitch, I can feel my lungs shrinking as I sit here

It's a pretty wicked down draft going on in there. Note how you don't see any mist in the air.

Who authorized "action photos" anyway?

Yep, known several to paint that way....and it is up to you.....not sure how I would do it now but many, many years ago I painted in jeans and a shirt and respirator.

Now, the blue '66 I had in Az. had a fantastic paint job. It was the last complete paint job the owner of the body shop could do. He was just over 40 years old and was told by the doctors that he had paint poisoning due to the years of painting. He had about 4-5 years as a full time painter but even then he was not in the booth every day. Once a week in the booth was more like it for the jobs he did. Small shop with maybe 2 jobs going at a time. He wore shorts, and a t-shirt in the booth with a good respirator. They say it was absorbed thru the skin. He never enters a paint booth now. He will even leave the shop when the booth is in use. His Dad also dies of paint poisoning. Says he never thought it would bother him because it was only once in a while. Up until his Dad got ill with it, he was not even in the business of painting.....but was doing other body work for new car dealers. Doctors say he will never get rid of it. Body shop is closed, mechanical only now.

I tried using one of those suits last time. Damn near had a heat stroke.
Might be ok when it's cooler outside, but when the heat index is north of 105 it gets pretty hot in the suit.

My friend in Az. painted in 110*+ all the time and I sure don't know how he did the heat plus he was still a pretty good sized guy as was his dad.

I have a couple of those $30 disposable 3M masks. I won't spray without one now as I usually feel like crap the next day if I don't... I think they work pretty well even though a couple are past their expiration date. I don't wear the suit either, nor long sleaves and lately when I've done a fair amount of spraying I'll immediately take a shower or jump in the pool for a few minutes to hopefully minimize the effects of the paint on my skin.

I did not even have any clear clinging to my arm hairs.

Rick, could you feel clear clinging to you?

"Sluggo" said:
I did not even have any clear clinging to my arm hairs.

Rick, could you feel clear clinging to you?

Nope, other than the Calypso coral on my fingertips I dont think I got anything on me.....

Back