• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rear 4 link

Its easier to view if you paste it as a link

http://www.martzchassis.net/mustang2008cat.pdf

I would not think its needed, but what are your plans for the car? Track? Autocross? I would say the 4 link would be stiffer than the leaf spring set up. But I would probably say try it without and if you feel you need to tighten it up order the swaybar after. Most people will say that a swaybar on a street car is overkill. I'v read post where guys remove the sway bar when the car is on the street vs. track

I have a 4Link rear in my '66. I noticed something "odd" on the Martz kit.

The coilovers are mounted on the top and bottom by a bolt. The bolt is supporting all of the weight of the car. This is exactly how my 4Link was until I changed it. What was happening is the eyelet of the shock absorber would move/ "bend" under load. I noticed it one day as I was jacking up the rearend of the car.

I made some new brackets to better locate the bottoms of the coilovers, but still haven't done anything with the tops. You can see the brackets in this photo.... notice how both sides of the coilover eyelet are supported..... with the Martz kit, only one side of the eyelet is supported.

Check back in an hour or so....I'm loading 20 pictures and it'll take a little while...

Here's the picture... it doesn't really show the new mount bracket I made, but notice how both sides of the eyelet are supported?

015-7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm i see what you mean...what if i just took the coilovers of the martz system and turned them 90 degrees and made a bracket for both the top and bottom. seems like an easy fix

That's exactly what I did. When I bought the car, this 4Link was already put together. The PO had the coilovers bolted onto the rearend and frame in the same manner as the Martz kit. The lower brackets I made were easy enough to fabricate. I'll see if I can find/take a better picture of them.

My upper coilover mounts are still bolted onto the frame as the Martz kit depicts. One of my Winter projects is to fab some upper mounts similar to the lower ones to better support the upper eyelet.

This picture depicts how they originally were attached at the lower mount. Notice how the attach bolt could move slightly in any direction? It's just not a good way to mount the coilover to the rearend.

3_07_09_08_6_25_00_2.JPG

If you have incredible vision.... you'll be able to barely makeout the new lower brackets.

Good Luck!

edit... I noticed that the picture is much larger when viewed from the gallery. Look in the gallery under "dave sanborns 1966 FB". The picture is on page 3, click on it and it's much bigger there than here.

3_07_09_08_5_59_52_3.JPG

Looks like a sway bar comes with the kit from the Martz photos. Generally speaking, leaf sprung axles do not need sway bars while coil sprung do. The reason is this. Leaf springs tend to act like sway bars because as the car rolls in a turn, the leaf twists front to bar, like a torsion bar counter acting the roll. A coil on the other hand is omni directional. It doesn't know a roll from compression and doesn't offer anti roll characteristics.

The Heidts kit has the springs mounted on a angle. Does this help control the roll? I noticed Dave's are mounted plumb. Is the heidts just an improved version through trial and error?

Is the heidts just an improved version through trial and error?

I would assume so.... my 4link is rudimentary in design. It gets the job done, but there's just not a lot of engineering behind it. I would think that the angled coilovers would help locate/center the rearend during cornering, whereas my setup relies solely on the panhard bar for this.

I have almost everything ready. The tranny is in and all I have to do is wire the reverse lockout solenoid. Heck the plug and wires are already in and hanging. The problem I have encountered is related to my lights. My brake lights won't work ever since I changed my brake booster to a factory style. To top that off my turn signals won't work either. I have a feeling I may have done something to the Mustang Project relay for the LED tail lights but I have no idea how to chase down electrical problems. Other than that I need to get the lug nut torqued down. My impact gun decided to go tits up on me.

Here is a picture of the adjustable coilover shock.

Have you had a chance to read through the kits instructions yet? I'm curious what the range of adjustment is on those coilovers? Also, what's the weight rating on those coilovers?

My 4Link was a homemade job designed by the previous owner. He was building the car for the strip. I've got a pretty good feeling that the coilovers on my car are too stiff. I'm curious how a different spring rating would effect the ride.... it's a pretty stiff ride right now.

Keep us informed of the progress!

Back